Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok. I'm very new to this whole linux thing. I've got SuSe 9.1, and it seems just fine, but the rest of the machines in our appartment are windows XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Newbie

Ok. I'm very new to this whole linux thing. I've got SuSe 9.1, and it seems just fine, but the rest of the machines in our appartment are windows XP boxes. Unfortunately, the printer is hooked up to mine due to space arrangements. So I'm trying to set up a Samba share for it, and I can't find a tutorial that's basically "Samba for the beginner."

My network is wireless, though my PC is hooked directly up to the router. The printer is an Epson Stylus C84, and so far seems to interract just fine with SuSe.

I've got a "SuSe Bible" book that my distro came with, but it only goes through the steps of actually installing/setting up Samba on my end - not how to test it, what to name things relative to everything else, yadda yadda. It's basically "On this screen, you do this..." and that's about it.

Can someone point me somewhere to get info? My searches only reveal old newsgroup postings that aren't too helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    ~bubbles

Linux Newbie
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.