Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 2Wire gateway (1000SW) and am trying to utilize its USB ethernet port. 2Wire has not written a linux driver but several online sources online suggest that ndiswrapper ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NDISWrapping a USB ethernet driver

I have a 2Wire gateway (1000SW) and am trying to utilize its USB ethernet port. 2Wire has not written a linux driver but several online sources online suggest that ndiswrapper could be used on the Windows drivers.

Here's what I've done (the Windows driver is called 2WirePCP.sys):
    Code:
    # ndiswrapper -i 2WirePCP.sys
    # ndiswrapper -m
    # modprobe ndiswrapper
    Now
    Code:
    # ifconfig
    gives me:
    Code:
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:544 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:544 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:36076 (35.2 Kb)  TX bytes:36076 (35.2 Kb)
    After changing the IP, netmask, and the broadcast address for lo, it still is not talking to the gateway.

Am I missing something fundamental?

what is the output of the command: ndiswrapper -l

are there errors or the such?

if not then it installed correctly.

try: as root:
    Code:
     ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 key 9498494 (if you are using wep with your router where all the numbers are your wep key)
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "nameofyourwirelessnetwork"
    EITHER: dhcpcd wlan0 or dhclient wlan0
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

also does the command (as root) lspci show your usb wireless device?

If not then you probably don't have USB stuff enabled in your kernel.

try: cd /usr/src/linux
    (as root) make menuconfig
    find the usb stuff.

make sure you copy over too boot: I'm not sure how to do this for your distro. But in Gentoo for Grub you do this: mount /boot
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzimage /boot/kernel-2.6 (or whatever you have named it and put in grub)
    cp System.map /boot/System.map

hope any of this helps.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response Spencerf.

I'm trying to bring up ethernet via USB (as opposed to USB WLAN) -- the gateway has a USB interface (pretty wierd in my opinion, but I can either get it working or buy another wireless card so I'm attempting the former).

Code:
    # ndiswrapper -l
    gives me
    Code:
    Installed ndis drivers:
    2wirepcp.sys    hardware NOT present
    I don't know if the "hardware NOT present" status is due to looking for the wrong device or non-existence of the correct device. When the cable is inserted, I get an entry for the gateway (forth one from the bottom):
    Code:
    $ lspcidrake -v
    intel-agp       : Intel Corp.|82845 845 Chipset Host Bridge (MCH) [BRIDGE_HOST] (vendor:8086 device:2560 subv:1028 subd:0160)
    Card:Intel 845  : Intel Corp.|82845 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] [DISPLAY_VGA] (vendor:8086 device:2562 subv:1028 subd:0160)
    usb-uhci        : Intel Corp.|82801DB USB Controller [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:24c2 subv:1028 subd:0160)
    usb-uhci        : Intel Corp.|82801DB USB Controller [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:24c4 subv:1028 subd:0160)
    usb-uhci        : Intel Corp.|82801DB USB Controller [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:24c7 subv:1028 subd:0160)
    ehci-hcd        : Intel Corp.|82801DB USB Enhanced Controller [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:24cd subv:1028 subd:0160)
    hw_random       : Intel Corp.|82820 815e (Camino 2) Chipset PCI [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:244e)
    i810-tco        : Intel Corp.|82801DB 845G/GL Chipset ISA Bridge (ICH4) [BRIDGE_ISA] (vendor:8086 device:24c0)
    unknown         : Intel Corp.|82801DB 845G/GL Chipset IDE Controller [STORAGE_IDE] (vendor:8086 device:24cb subv:1028 subd:0160)
    unknown         : Intel Corp.|82801DB SMBus Controller [SERIAL_SMBUS] (vendor:8086 device:24c3 subv:1028 subd:0160)
    snd-intel8x0    : Intel Corp.|ICH4 845G/GL Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:8086 device:24c5 subv:1028 subd:0160)
    b44             : Broadcom Corp.|BCM4401 100Base-T [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:14e4 device:4401 subv:1028 subd:8127)
    hub             : Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk ehci_hcd|EHCI Host Controller [Hub] (vendor:0000 device:0000)
    hub             : Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk uhci_hcd|UHCI Host Controller [Hub] (vendor:0000 device:0000)
    unknown         : 2Wire Inc|2Wire USB Remote NDIS Ethernet [Communications|Abstract (modem)|Vendor Specific (MSFT RNDIS?)] (vendor:1630 device:0042)
    Mouse:USB|Wheel : Microsoft Corp.|IntelliMouse Optical [Human Interface Devices|Boot Interface Subclass|Mouse] (vendor:045e device:0039)
    hub             : Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk uhci_hcd|UHCI Host Controller [Hub] (vendor:0000 device:0000)
    I tried
    Code:
    # ifconfig lo up
    but didn't notice a difference. Setting the key and SSID shouldn't be necessary if I'm correct in assuming that this interface is independent of the wireless network (although I doubt it, the USB port on the gateway may run into a typical wireless card inside; in which case the wireless setup would be necessary).

Thanks again for your time, I always appreciate any help I can get.

Ok. I'm more confused now than before but thats ok because that happens a lot. One thing I noticed though. It looks like you might have only installed the .sys file and not the .inf file. You need both normally to make ndiswrapper work. The hardware not present line is pretty critical I think. It means that it is not recognizing your hardware as installed probably because the correct drivers aren't there completely. I have used ndiswrapper a lot but never with a usb connection like yours so there might be something obvious that I just don't see or recognize as compared to pcmcia cards for laptops. Try looking for .inf file from the windows drivers and installing that too.

i think that the interface wlan0 will still be used even though you are using usb. It is just a generic designator for wirless lie eth1 or whatever is for other distros or wireless connections.

you can ifconfig -a to see all availabe internet 'things' sorry can't think of the right word but nonetheless.

Just Joined!
    I was affraid a .inf file would be necessary. 2Wire only offers drivers via executables (to the best of my knowledge that is, but I'd like to be shown to be incorrect), so I ran it on a Windows machine and the only thing it left behind was the 2WirePCP.sys in %windir%\system32\drivers\ .
    The gateway USB is unplugged now and I get:
    Code:
    # ifconfig -a
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:818 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:818 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:54756 (53.4 Kb)  TX bytes:54756 (53.4 Kb)

sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
              NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Does the IPv6-in-IPv4 part mean it's a version 6 device trying to work in regular old IP? Looks like I'll be buying a new card.

yeah I tried googling your card and not much came up. I would suggest looking in the 'card' section of ndiswrapper and finding a usb adapter that is known to work. Our look for one that is natively supported. That way you are avoiding this hassle.

But you never know someone might have this card and eventually help you out

Just Joined!
    I appreciate your advice.
    But you never know someone might have this card and eventually help you out
    That was my hope. I'll continue looking and post if I ever get a solution.

If your computer has an Ethernet port, use that. I have a 2wire Gateway and it comes with an Ethernet cable which connects the PC and the Gateway. It works better than the USB connection. If you have another computer using the Ethernet cable, switch the two. It won't damage the second computer's connection and it may let your distro work with it through the card (I use Ubuntu Gusty).

If you don't have an ethernet card, there are a number supported by the linux kernel. You'll have some luck googling: "ethernet card linux list" By the way, don't get a card from 2wire. The Gateway is good but you'll have better luck with a non-2wire card, trust me.

Breif HowTo: AT&T Help

(Don't try the AT&T help people for anything except the linked page - I asked them how to get mine working on Linux and they stubbornly told me that they didn't support Linux and I'd need a new computer, new gateway, or to buy Windows Vista. I could use a new computer, but Vista? *Shudders*)