Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Distro - SuSE 9.3 SMB is sorted out (needed to set internal zone in yast). I can access shares from Windows on Linux box and also from Linux on Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SMB - can't see printer on windows box from SuSE

Distro - SuSE 9.3

SMB is sorted out (needed to set internal zone in yast). I can access shares from Windows on Linux box and also from Linux on Windows box (need to tweak permissions and users on Linux more but that's easily done through Yast or smb.conf).

Problem is I can't see printer on Windows box (it's seen from Windows (dual boot) to Windows fine). When I try to add printer through KDE Printing manager it doesn't show and even if I add authentification, location, workgroup etc.. manually.

Windows Firwall (Kerio Personal Firewall) is not the case as I tried disabling it. Besides it works Windows->Windows. I think authentification is also not a problem because I tried user with 7 character password with same result.

The printer in question is HP DJ690C.

Just Joined!
    Have you resolved this issue yet?

I appear to have exactly the same issue, my dual boot laptop running suse 9.3 can see an Epson 640 on one network and an HP950c on another while running Xp. But when i try to add a printer in KDE print i keep getting an "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" error if i try to browse for the printer or if i do it manually i can set up the printer but it does not print.

Any suggestions greatly received.

Thanks

Do you have this printer configured in Linux. The driver needs to be on both boxes.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Have you tried just using YaST's printer setup utility, without going into the Samba setup first? I just finished setting up a shared printer connected to a Windows box on both SuSE9.2 and Mac OS X 10.3.9, and it was actually easier in YaST than it had been on the Mac. Apparently it automatically configured what it needed to configure -- the only snag I ran into was that it didn't want to recognize the host name. I solved that by putting in the IP instead, and now it works great. It's using hpijs drivers, which seems to have every printer known to man. I never had to touch the Samba setup to get it working, so you may want to try that route instead. Just click on "Configure" when it brings up the "Other/Not Detected" box and it should walk you through it from there.

I just noticed his post date! I doubt we'll hear back.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rong
    Do you have this printer configured in Linux. The driver needs to be on both boxes.
    which driver?
    the linux driver on the windws box or vice versa?
    thanks

Just Joined!
    The way I understand it, neither. I loaded the hpijs driver set on the Linux box and am using the normal Windows driver that came on the CD for the Windows machine. Windows apparently can be set up to automatically share out drivers for various versions of Windows, but unfortunately this capability appears to not be cross platform.

Just Joined!
    What do you mean by
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsPanic
    the hpijs driver set
    ?

Where do i find it? my Epson 640 is on the list of printers to manualy install but when i come to test it it appears as if the windows box in preventing my linux laptop seeing it!

I have also tried the Yast route to no avail - I still get the NT error message when i try to access the windows printer.

thanks for your continuing patience.

Just Joined!
    You can get drivers for almost anything at linuxprinting.org. The hpijs driver set is for about 200 different HP printers. Epson would have something different...your best bet is probably just to search that site.

Are you setting it up as Samba or trying to do a manual setup as if the printer was connected via USB? It didn't see my printer (which is being shared via Samba) but it did see it after I manually hit "configure" on the "Other (None detected)" and entered the workgroup, IP (instead of the host name, which it didn't recognize) and username and pw manually.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the printer driver directions.

at last some success - i have managed to find the printer and access it using the administrator password on the windows box through yast - currently it is only printing hex code but at least it is printing!!!

thanks for all your help - no doubt i will be back with my next issue - probably sound or graphics card related!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast