Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Fedora Core 2.0, relatively up to date. Intermittently I cannot access any sites using Mozilla. I will see "Resolving <hostname>" or "Connecting to <hostname>" and eventually it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Host name resolution/connection problems

I am running Fedora Core 2.0, relatively up to date. Intermittently I cannot access any sites using Mozilla. I will see "Resolving <hostname>" or "Connecting to <hostname>" and eventually it times out.

Sometimes resetting the connection works (ifdown, ifup), sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes pinging the host helps, sometimes it doesn't. Traceroute will trace a large number of hosts, but eventually starts returning all '*'s on the route to the host in question.

Can somebody help me understand what is going wrong here?

BTW: I am using DSL into an ethernet port on this machine. Many times things work fine, although failures seem to "group" over a series of days.

Thanks,

John

Linux Enthusiast
    Have you by any chanse enabled IPSEC like FreeSWAN or IPTABLES?
    Just try to stop those services/deamons and do a re-try. If it works, the you will know where to trouble-shoot

Just Joined!
    I tried "iptables -L" and the response looked like I have no interesting rules set (everything was "all" and "anywhere". I suppose this gives enough information for anyone to hack my system.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by readingj
    I tried "iptables -L" and the response looked like I have no interesting rules set (everything was "all" and "anywhere". I suppose this gives enough information for anyone to hack my system.
    You sure gave it up

Anyhow, you should check your /etc/resolv.conf file if you have got some bad DNS server defined there. However, I have had this problem only when I started up IPSec/Pluto services. And as soon I stopped them, I got it working like a charm.