Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
It's not a Linux issue, it's a modem issue. You need to get your modem working properly with Linux so you can then connect manually. Get Earthlink out of your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

It's not a Linux issue, it's a modem issue. You need to get your modem working properly with Linux so you can then connect manually.

Get Earthlink out of your head. It's a non-issue. Your issue is getting your modem to work properly. Once that's done, you can connect to Earthlink.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    i think im beginning to understand.. modem works with windows but not linux. so the modem needs to be configured with linux?
    if that's the case, is there a tutorial on that?

i think i've found a tutorial if i have a "winmodem"
    i'm not sue what that is but i have a good idea. i'm using the modem that came on my computer. my computer came with windows. it makes sence to me that that's a windows modem. hence "winmodem?"

maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by tmackey
    i think im beginning to understand.. modem works with windows but not linux. so the modem needs to be configured with linux?
    if that's the case, is there a tutorial on that?

i think i've found a tutorial if i have a "winmodem"
    i'm not sue what that is but i have a good idea. i'm using the modem that came on my computer. my computer came with windows. it makes sence to me that that's a windows modem. hence "winmodem?"

maybe not.
    If so, Winmodems are NOT compatible with Linux.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    What type of modem do you have in the machine? Need the manufacturer and modem type.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    man that was hard to find.. so i found it and sat back down to type this in and it occured to me that you all could be just messing with me about all of this as some kind of n00b initiation..

well- it's a
    manu: emachines
    modem: 56k ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem.

is it a winmodem after all?

Linux Engineer
    Yep.. It sure is.

Your best bet would be to go get a serial modem and plug it in. They're not that expensive, and you should be able to get it on line fairly easily.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

But if you are still not convinced you can go to this site and decide if it's really worth trying to make it work!!!

http://www.linmodems.org/

No we are not messing with you. Most of us are new to LInux as well - well I am anyway.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    thanks to you all..

Just Joined!

Earthink does not work with linux

I personally have tried 3 distros and many versions of these. I cannot make earthlink connect under linux, but works fine under windows. Same modem! Same config! Not using the earthlink dialer, I use the built-in Windows dialer.
    It is not a problem with the modem, it is the fact that Earthlink prints a banner at logon that craps the connect deamon. I even went so far as to downgrade to a 2.0.14 kernel that I had working last year on a different ISP. Don't worry about installing drivers for a LinModem, try a different ISP, more of a Linux friendly ISP. As for telling me that it's not an Earthlink problem, maybe my credentials as an MCSE, A+, Net+, and 5 year Linux user should help prove that I do know many of the things I discuss.

Just Joined!

Earthink does not work with linux

I personally have tried 3 distros and many versions of these. I cannot make earthlink connect under linux, but works fine under windows. Same modem! Same config! Not using the earthlink dialer, I use the built-in Windows dialer.
    It is not a problem with the modem, it is the fact that Earthlink prints a banner at logon that craps the connect deamon. I even went so far as to downgrade to a 2.0.14 kernel that I had working last year on a different ISP. Don't worry about installing drivers for a LinModem, try a different ISP, more of a Linux friendly ISP. As for telling me that it's not an Earthlink problem, maybe my credentials as an MCSE, A+, Net+, and 5 year Linux user should help prove that I do know many of the things I discuss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast