Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I personally have tried 3 distros and many versions of these. I cannot make earthlink connect under linux, but works fine under windows. Same modem! Same config! Not using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Earthink does not work with linux

I personally have tried 3 distros and many versions of these. I cannot make earthlink connect under linux, but works fine under windows. Same modem! Same config! Not using the earthlink dialer, I use the built-in Windows dialer.
    It is not a problem with the modem, it is the fact that Earthlink prints a banner at logon that craps the connect deamon. I even went so far as to downgrade to a 2.0.14 kernel that I had working last year on a different ISP. Don't worry about installing drivers for a LinModem, try a different ISP, more of a Linux friendly ISP. As for telling me that it's not an Earthlink problem, maybe my credentials as an MCSE, A+, Net+, and 5 year Linux user should help prove that I do know many of the things I discuss.

Linux Engineer
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Re: Earthink does not work with linux

Quote Originally Posted by jonply
    I personally have tried 3 distros and many versions of these. I cannot make earthlink connect under linux, but works fine under windows. Same modem! Same config! Not using the earthlink dialer, I use the built-in Windows dialer.
    It is not a problem with the modem, it is the fact that Earthlink prints a banner at logon that craps the connect deamon. I even went so far as to downgrade to a 2.0.14 kernel that I had working last year on a different ISP. Don't worry about installing drivers for a LinModem, try a different ISP, more of a Linux friendly ISP. As for telling me that it's not an Earthlink problem, maybe my credentials as an MCSE, A+, Net+, and 5 year Linux user should help prove that I do know many of the things I discuss.
    I think you have proven that the UFOs need to come back and pick you up.

As stated before, get the modem setup and working, then you can set up the ISP lnfo. I will be playing with Earthlink, for one of my customers, on an Linux machine, this week. I will let you know if Earthlink will work or not. I few years back I was using Mindspring on dial-up Linux machine, even after they got suck up into the Earthlink system.

For those in the States with dial-up check out, www.allvantage.com It works with Linux, Mac and Winblows and you NOT find a better deal anyplace else. And yes I have been using Allvantage for over a year now with no problems (have lots of customers that only have dial-up machines).
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Modems/...with_KPPP.html

Just found this nice tutorial on how to set-up ones dial-up modem with KPPP to Eartlink. I do not know if the DSN numbers are up to date, I have found a few different sets to include some from the Earthlink web site. So, go read.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3