Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have been configuring iptables for packet filtering for the last few days. I am experiencing a very strange behaviour of iptables. All iptables rules that I mention ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iptables failing when "accept" is the rule action

Hi all,

I have been configuring iptables for packet filtering
    for the last few days. I am experiencing a very strange behaviour of iptables.

All iptables rules that I mention at each chain match with real packets and work ONLY if the action is DROP. This invariably means that I am unable to set the default action of any chain to be DROP. For example,

when I set the following rules:

a)Default action for INPUT: ACCEPT
    b)Action for INPUT packets that are addressed to port 3128 of localhost
    (squid runs on this port): DROP

This ruleset works well, and all packets that are addressed to the gateway's squid are being blocked (meaning Internet access is blocked).

But when I rewrite teh same function with the following rules:

a)Default action for INPUT: DROP
    b) Action for INPUT packets that are addressed to port 3128 of localhost:ACCEPT

The incoming packets dont seem to be matching the first rule, and end up in the default rule, thereby dropping the packet.

The actual script mentions the followng lines:

iptables -P INPUT DROP
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m tcp -p tcp -s 192.168.20/24 --dport 3128 -j ACCEPT

Am I going wrong in making the iptables commands for achieving what I want to achieve ? I want to drop packets by default, but accept input packets addressed to the squid port.

Or, do I have to enable a few more things ? IP forwarding is already enabled in the gateway machine.

I am seeing the same problems even with forward rules(irrespective of any application like squid running)....

Some one help me please ...

Regards.

Vijay

the answer looks pretty simple, you used a / instead of a .
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m tcp -p tcp -s 192.168.20/24 --dport 3128 -j ACCEPT
    should be
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m tcp -p tcp -s 192.168.20.24 --dport 3128 -j ACCEPT

Just Joined!
    Sorry mates.....that was a typo ...it should have been 192.168.2.0/24 .....which implies that this was not the only problem ...

Regards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close