Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a linux box (Fedora Core 3) set up as a router/gateway/firewall for my home network. It is hooked up to Time Warner's Road Runner, a cable connection, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

internet connection inconsistency

I have a linux box (Fedora Core 3) set up as a router/gateway/firewall for my home network. It is hooked up to Time Warner's Road Runner, a cable connection, and works very well. But after about 2 weeks or so, the connection gets slow/inconsistent. Specifically, the pings are all over the place. I'll ping out to google, yahoo, etc. and I'll get 22ms one ping and then 125ms the next, then 80, then 20, then 160. After a reboot, everything works just dandy. It's not TOO much trouble to reboot but that's not the point. I want to know what's going on. Any ideas???

Re: internet connection inconsistency

Quote Originally Posted by messiahnet
    I have a linux box (Fedora Core 3) set up as a router/gateway/firewall for my home network. It is hooked up to Time Warner's Road Runner, a cable connection, and works very well. But after about 2 weeks or so, the connection gets slow/inconsistent. Specifically, the pings are all over the place. I'll ping out to google, yahoo, etc. and I'll get 22ms one ping and then 125ms the next, then 80, then 20, then 160. After a reboot, everything works just dandy. It's not TOO much trouble to reboot but that's not the point. I want to know what's going on. Any ideas???
    Could be lot's of things but I'll share my experience with similiar issues.

Cable: Started with similiar symptons and after week or so would only stay connected about 1 or 2 minutes. Resetting would envigorate but not for long. Turned out to be the Modem. Replaced and solid as a rock.

DSL: Similiar symptoms. Wiring connections. Rain made it useless. Heat made it tolerable.!!!

Just a possiblilty for you.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux User
    I get a simular problem on my DSL aboout once a month. It took me awhile to figure it out. It is when my provider resets my address my Router then needs to be reset to aquire the new settings and all is well for another month.
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close