Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am sorry to say I have a windows 98se box (inetternet conection sharing turn on?) with an internal modem. On the bright side it networked to a RH7.1 box. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    rfs
    Just Joined!

internet connection sharing

I am sorry to say I have a windows 98se box (inetternet conection sharing turn on?) with an internal modem. On the bright side it networked to a RH7.1 box.
    Can anybody tell me howto gain access to the net from my linux box via the 98(piece of ....)

Just Joined!
    This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I found it easier to get my Windows XP laPtop (when I boot windows, redhat is also installed on it) to share the internet connection with my Gentoo Desktop via the modem connected to it.
    If you are interested in doing it this way, let me know and I'll give you a tip or two.

Linux User
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

I am interested in doing it that way

Quote Originally Posted by ventricle
    This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I found it easier to get my Windows XP laPtop (when I boot windows, redhat is also installed on it) to share the internet connection with my Gentoo Desktop via the modem connected to it.
    If you are interested in doing it this way, let me know and I'll give you a tip or two.
    I have SUSE 10.1 running on my external internet connected server and Windows 98 on my internal networked samba client. I can access files from each computer through the other and have Masquerading and IP Fowarding enabled on my SUSE box though there are no actual IP addresses listed to be masqueraded or fowarded. Do I need to add addresses to my firewall configuration to be able to share my linux internet connection with my Win98 box?

Quote Originally Posted by gaaslight
    Do I need to add addresses to my firewall configuration to be able to share my linux internet connection with my Win98 box?
    No. If you have configured your SuSEfirewall2 config such that eth0 is internal and dsl0 is external and masquerading you should be able to acces the internet from Win98. AND ... you have set up your server to have dhcp up and runnig OR you have configured your WIN98 to use the right default route.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by framp
    No. If you have configured your SuSEfirewall2 config such that eth0 is internal and dsl0 is external and masquerading you should be able to acces the internet from Win98. AND ... you have set up your server to have dhcp up and runnig OR you have configured your WIN98 to use the right default route.
    Actually I have eth0 external and eth1 internal. Should I re-configure one of my network cards as dsl0?