Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by *DEAD* "Also, SAMBA will not work across routers. If this is needed, you will need to read up on IP TUNNELING, which is beyond the scope of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by *DEAD*
    "Also, SAMBA will not work across routers. If this is needed, you will need to read up on IP TUNNELING, which is beyond the scope of this Guide".
    thx
    The key word is across. In other words from one router to another router. I doubt you are doing that. I assume you have one Router that your FC and XP boxes are conneted to and that the Router goes to a modem and then off to the internet.

Assuming the above then that is NOT your problem.

Do these:
    1. Determine the IP of each box if you have not already. You can get this either by looking at your Router Admin > Status > Local Network or you can ifconfig from FC to get the ip assigned to your network card <eth0> and you can run ipconfig on XP to get that IP.

2. Now ping each ip from the other box. If you are getting timeout errors rather than packet sent info then STOP now and find out why the network card(s) are not working.

If these results are OK then go to your browser and type in
    Code:
    smb&#58;//<IP of the XP box>
    and see if you can connect to XP or not.

Let's see where this leads.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

I see we were typing at the same time!

Give me a few minutes to digest what you are saying.

1) xp box conected to router which is conected to me (im pretty sure i didnt screw this one up lol)
    If you can ping from FC box to either of the Win boxes then Router is working OK.

2) edit global settings, all comps have same network name "MSHOME"
    Including the Samba Server configuration which also needs this workgroup name?

As this stage the share stuff is not important. It will be AFTER you establish connections between all hosts.

5) smbpasswd -a test
    enter password:
    re-enter password:
    added user test
    OK. Now remember that once you SEE your FC box you'll need to use this user info you just created in order to access the FC stuff.

I think you are going to find that the issue is with the Samba Server configuration. At least things are pointing more in that direction so far.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

samba

www.samba.org

goto the exercises section on the right

chapter 2 to 3 are for setting up samba easily (using the example)

Just Joined!

samba- again

dont share /root ....

# Global Parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = MIDEARTH
    security = SHARE
    [Plans]
    path = /plans (create this)
    read only = Yes
    guest ok = Yes

do this...
    root# chkconfig smb on
    root# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

now this
    smbclient -L localhost (to view the share)

Linux Newbie
    ok i made the worlds simplest config file. i figured since thats whats samba runs off of it would be easiest to work from there

[global]
    workgroup = MSHOME
    netbios name = test
    [share1]
    path = /plans/shared
    comment = Some random files

still doesnt work tho
    ive tried everything that was suggested also.
    i went to samba.org but didnt find nething labled exersises. i did c the official how2 and went there but it was way to complicated. i went looking thru some other guides and decided to stuff the big smb.conf and make my own mini one. from what i understand that is all i need. i can ping my linux box from the xp box, however i cant get the linux box to ping my xp box. i did boot in XP for the first time in months (omg it goes so freaken slow i never realized it. i even complain that my friends $12000 alienware goes slow and its got 8 ghz and 16 megs of ram) but i can ping xp to xp just fine. is there anything i should add to the basic smb.conf that might b stopping it from working. i did restart samba numerous times and got green oks every time. thx for all the help guys

i can ping my linux box from the xp box, however i cant get the linux box to ping my xp box. s
    If you can't ping from Linux to Win then Samba will never work. As I've already said you need to get this very basic and essential item resolved FIRST. All this other stuff you are doing is useless if you can't connect to each other.

Linux Newbie
    well i can ping google, and i have no idea whats stopping me.
    i can ping a website 16 routers away and i cant ping the computer thats one router. im really stuck. does ne1 have ne ideas at all y the ping might not be working

thx in advance

Linux Newbie
    OMG IM AN IDIOT. i didnt even think to check the xp boxes ip. it changed for some reason. no clue y. it works now tho
    also is there a way to stop the ping without exithing the konsole. its getting very annoying

Just Joined!
    Ctrl+c or ctrl+z i had the same prob meself :P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast