Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
im sorry but i really cant figure this out. ive been trying to set up samba for ages but im just stumped. ive looked at many tutorials and posts that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

trying to make a basic samba config

im sorry but i really cant figure this out. ive been trying to set up samba for ages but im just stumped. ive looked at many tutorials and posts that were all made for creating a server with samba. all i need to do is set up my computer so it can communicate with the rest of my family's win boxes. even more simple i just want to print to win computer. if anyone can show me how easy this must be id appreticate it.

Re: trying to make a basic samba config

Quote Originally Posted by *DEAD*
    im sorry but i really cant figure this out. ive been trying to set up samba for ages but im just stumped. ive looked at many tutorials and posts that were all made for creating a server with samba. all i need to do is set up my computer so it can communicate with the rest of my family's win boxes. even more simple i just want to print to win computer. if anyone can show me how easy this must be id appreticate it.
    I am not familiar with Fedora so I may not be able to give you any specific places in FC to go to but I have gone through the Samba config on other distors. It can be a headache so no surprise you're having trouble.

First though can you summarize what you have acutally done and what is specifically not working?.

Then:
    Have you installed both the Samba Server and Samba Client?

Have you set Samba Users and Passwords for any and all users with:
    Code:
     smbpasswd <username>
    Then on the Windows or Linux client machines you will need to log in to them with this smb user/pword.

Does every computer that you are using have the same 'workgroup' name?

These are the main issues that cause problems so hopefully this will be a start in the right direction for you.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Newbie
    i had read several guides on how to set up samba but never had any success so i returned my smb.conf back to the original state. the things i did do before that:
    added a test user
    set the work group to MSHOME (im pretty sure thats the defult)
    and gave my computer an id script or somethign like that.
    as i said everythings back to the original state.
    also when i go thru the configure printer and go to samba and then to specify, what exactly should the share be. no idea hope u might be able to help. im still trying to c if i can work this out but if by some odd chance i do ill let you kno.

Are you able to see your Win boxes on FC?
    Are you able to see your FC from the Win box(s)?

set the work group to MSHOME (im pretty sure thats the defult)
    It does not matter what you call them as long as every computer has exactly the same name.

and gave my computer an id script or somethign like that.
    I don't understand what this is. No scripting involved in any Samba setup I've done.

also when i go thru the configure printer and go to samba and then to specify, what exactly should the share be. no idea hope u might be able to help
    I'm confused about this one since you don't configure printers with Samba. Is your printer connected directly to your Linux box, is it on the network or connected to a windows box?

Linux Newbie
    sorry
    the printer is connected to my win box.
    i did know that the work groups had to be the same, and ours is indeed MSHOME.
    the id script was the "server sting". it just gives my box a name.

as i read on im begging to think im looking at the wrong thing. im not trying to set my computer up as a server, i just want it to be able to print to a printer on my win box. also, windows xp home edition doesnt fit with all the other versions of windows. instead of a login screen u get all the user names up front and u just need the password. does samba work with home edition? also id like to know if theres something better suited for just printing. thx

as i read on im begging to think im looking at the wrong thing. im not trying to set my computer up as a server, i just want it to be able to print to a printer on my win box
    Actually both FC and XP wiil be acting as Servers AND as Clients. They will both be playing double roles. For example when you have FC connect to XP to do some printing, XP is acting as a print server and if you want to get to a file on FC from XP then FC is acting as a Server. This does not mean you are setting up a 'dedicated' Server.

. also, windows xp home edition doesnt fit with all the other versions of windows. instead of a login screen u get all the user names up front and u just need the password. does samba work with home edition?
    It will work as long as you use the name/and password that you set up with smbpasswd

You have not said whether or not FC and XP can see each other yet. After you can see that both boxes find each other, then you can work at getting access. This should be your first and most important task!

also id like to know if theres something better suited for just printing. thx
    You need to be sure that FC also has the Printer set up with the correct driver. The least painful way to share a printer on a network is to have a 'network' printer. But what you have there will do just fine once you put all the pieces together.

No it's not easy!!!!

Linux Newbie
    well i cant c each other in network nieghbourhood. i dont know how id find out if my linux box can c the xp box. i spent till 2 oclock last night trying to figure it out but got nothing. thx for all the help

well i cant c each other in network nieghbourhood. i dont know how id find out if my linux box can c the xp box. i spent till 2 oclock last night trying to figure it out but got nothing. thx for all the help
    Since I'm not familiar with FC I can't point you to the exact place to look. If you are using KDE then you should be able to use Konqeror to find the Icon for Network, Go there and then select Local Network and then if Samba is set up you will see Windows Workgroup. Select that and if you are connected OK you will see "MSHOME" and then some of you XP folders.

Let me know if you find this section OK.

Linux Newbie
    nope cant c them
    im making yet another reply.
    ill post again when i manage to find my other network, however i did find something that might explain my troubles. i connect thru a router, and from i just found.
    "Also, SAMBA will not work across routers. If this is needed, you will need to read up on IP TUNNELING, which is beyond the scope of this Guide".
    would that be my problem. or is it something else.
    thx

Linux Newbie
    alright im in dispair.
    could someone c if i missed a step.
    1) xp box conected to router which is conected to me (im pretty sure i didnt screw this one up lol)
    2) edit global settings, all comps have same network name "MSHOME"
    3) gave my lin box a name TUXinator (lame but watever)
    3) added a share by adding
    [shared]
    path = /root/shared
    writable = yes
    4) saved smb.conf
    5) smbpasswd -a test
    enter password:
    re-enter password:
    added user test

now i go to my win box and go into \\mshome
    only c my bros xp box
    i go to \\nameofxpbox
    has shared directories for printers/bros computer, no TUXinator
    i followed your steps to find the network but nothing was there (fedora can start in almost any desktop system)
    thanks for all the help so far.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast