Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I've just installed Morphix. When I ran the live CD, I can connect to the net (in fact, I am writing this from the live CD). But after I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network settings?

Ok, I've just installed Morphix. When I ran the live CD, I can connect to the net (in fact, I am writing this from the live CD). But after I installed morphix to my HD, I could not get to the net. I connect through a cable modem, which is hooked up to a router, upon which this machine is connected to.

I'm wondering what to try. Are there any files/settings which I could copy to the installed sistem from this live sistem? When I run ifconfig -a, it shows my network card correctly. Running ifconfig eth0 up does not seem to do anything.

Help please?

Edit: Ok, now this is strange. I have been playing around a while and it seems that running dhclient will allow me to surf the net. But then the computer freezes after something like half a minute. I have to restart the x server, nothing else works. The same happens if I run 'pump'. I found both of these commands on the net, but I still have no clue as to what is going on.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Ok, now it seems to be working, the only problem is that I have to run dhclient as root every time I log in to be able to get to the net (and also to use apt-get, gaim, etc.). Where can I configure this so I won't have to do it every time? I remember that there is a file which contains things that run at boot up, I have also used the SysV-init editor, but I don't know if this is usefull in this case.

Any suggestions?
    www.cloudyuseful.com

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Perhaps the live system runs dhclient on boot up. Have a look in its /etc/init.d to see if there's a script in there that runs dhclient; if there is, see which S and K rc.x scripts are linked to it and replicate them in your installed system. I don't use DHCP myself, so I apologise is this suggestion is cr@p.

Thanks, I'll try that. It doesn't sound like cr@p
    www.cloudyuseful.com