Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok so i have some questions that i cannot figure out? first is the there a better way to find all the computers that are "alive" on the LAN than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 basic quetions

ok so i have some questions that i cannot figure out?

first is the there a better way to find all the computers that are "alive" on the LAN than with pinging the broadcast and seeing who responds.

second is there a way to make a link between the output of lspci and ifconfig so that I can figure out which card is eth0 and which is eth1 without physical
    ly removing them and looking at the MAC.

thanks
    kyle

Are the nics using the same driver or are they different ? Are you asking this for ArchLinux ?

nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

Just Joined!
    ya the NIC's have different drivers. this is on a debian box running shorewall. I got it to work but just moving the network cable between the to cards until it worked. I was just wondering if there was a better (non-physical) way of doing it.

If you use different modules for your cards, the order in which you load those modules will be the order the cards are called. So the first one is eth0, the second one eth1. So if you can load the modules somewhere in your config manually then you should not have any trouble.