Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Im migrating from Windows to Linux (Mandrake 10.1) I want to set up the linux as a gateway to the internet. 1. How do I do that? =) 2. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating a gateway

Hello,

Im migrating from Windows to Linux (Mandrake 10.1)
    I want to set up the linux as a gateway to the internet.
    1. How do I do that? =)
    2. do I need to install mandrake as a server or could it be installed just as a client?

Thank you in advance

Just Joined!
    I am in in a similar boat to you.

I haven't done it yet but what needs to be done depends on your exact requirements.
    If it is to be used as the gateway on a LAN (which I will assume) then you need to set it up as a NAT server. You need two NIC cards - one to connect your eth0 to the internet on a public address and the 2nd eth1 to be a private ip something like 192.168.100.1 this goes to your hub or switch.

From there NAT or Network Address Translation servers up the requests from the local network. This acts as a bit of a barrier as to the outside worl there is only 1 IP address and one computer on the network. There are things like IP spoofing etc that can get around this but it is another step in your network.

I would very much like to see a good tutorial on this - the best one I have found is on www.aboutdebian.com (or is it www.aboutdebian.org?)

I hope you get it sorted