Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have set up a Linux machine in a windows network. The other day all was working well, I could ping from Linux any windows machine and from windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot ping linux from Windows

Hi,

I have set up a Linux machine in a windows network. The other day all was working well, I could ping from Linux any windows machine and from windows i could ping the Linux box. I setup samba via Webmin and was able to access the Linux shares via windows network neighbourhood.

However, today I have come in after a reboot only to find I can now no longer ping the Linux box from any Windows machine! I can ping out from the Linux machine so that side of things is OK.

If I try to access the Linux share via windows network neighbourhood, or try and cannot to Oracle (that is installed on the Linux box) I get a Timed Out error.

The Linux machine has been manually registered with the Windows DNS server, so it should resolve on teh network. I have done a idconfig from Linux and checked that the IP address specified is still in place and it is. Hostname shows that the host name is what it should be set to.

I am relatively new to the Linux world, so I am a little unsure how to proceed from here.

I have done some searches on line to try and get some info, but thus far no luck.

Can anyone suggest any ideas as to what I might try to fix this and make sure that it does not happen again.

Thanks

Dan.

Did you change any settings before the reboot? And is the samba server running on the linux box?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    The one thing that i did try was to attempt to create a script that would auto start the oracle databases and listener. I have removed these changes and tried rebooting so it as per before.

As for samba, no I have not started it since reboot. One thing I have noticed is that previously I could access the webmin application by specifying http://servername:1000 however now I cannot do this. I get en error indicating it cannot connect to port. This is where I was previously starting and stoping samba from.

I will try manually restarting Samba, that slipped my mind. I think it is rcsmb start ?

Dan.

Linux Guru
    starting samba:
    "nmbd -D"
    "smbd -D"

Possibilities... Firewall? can you paste up your firewall script if you have one(better), or alternativly "iptables -L".

From windows... drop to a command prompt, run "tracert <LINUX_IP>", does it appear to get through all the network hop's you would expect?

run "ifconfig eth0", the IP may have changed if assigned by DHCP, so you could be trying to access the old IP no longer in use.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    What is your ip setup? Just a example of 2 machines in this net. Like 192.168.1.1 = Linux Server 192.168.1.2 = XP client , both in same building or not, using dhcp or fixed, gateway of the two and subnets.

Also can your other machines ping each other? With or without samba running and someother services you should be able to ping the other machines. It sounds like your eth0 setup was not saved or changed somehow. If you don't have ICMP connectivitiy your going no where fast.

As mentioned the firewall issue is also worth checking out. Turn any/all off until you resolve this connectivity issue.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.

Ok, what I have done is start the samba server, checked ifconfig and the same IP address is still registered.

However, I believe that where my problem may be is actually with windows not Linux. I have discovered that on some machines in the windows network I can now see and ping the Linux box IP:10.0.0.13, but from other machines I cannot. Looking into it further, I have discovered that what appears to be happening is that for some reason the Linux box is registering with both DNS and DHCP, as result it is recognisable by two IP address. Some machines are seeing one and some the other. As a result, some can ping 10.0.0.13 and others need to ping 10.0.0.113.

Not sure why, but dig around and see what I can find out.

Thanks.

Dan.

Why not use static ips?

Just Joined!

Good question

But changing it to static ip doesn't help either

because my ip is already

whereby my ifconfig result shows that my domain ip address is congruent with the XP client s which I'm trying to connect with eg. 192.168.1 / 2, 100, 200

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0B:DB:05:97:5D  
              inet addr:192.168.1.19  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::20b:dbff:fe05:975d/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
              RX packets:73597 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0
              TX packets:35856 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:31961190 (30.4 MiB)  TX bytes:5688126 (5.4 MiB)
              Interrupt:11 Base address:0x4c00 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:14394 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:14394 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:4002411 (3.8 MiB)  TX bytes:4002411 (3.8 MiB)
    so what's the solution Chief? ... darn... i lost mouse control..ok.. js loose usb connection...

Just Joined!
    I don't get it how come i can't get their exact ips

Code:
    [root@localhost /]# ping a01
    PING a01.localdomain (203.106.203.238) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 203.106.203.238: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=17.8 ms
    64 bytes from 203.106.203.238: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=17.0 ms
    64 bytes from 203.106.203.238: icmp_seq=11 ttl=54 time=17.7 ms
    64 bytes from 203.106.203.238: icmp_seq=23 ttl=54 time=17.2 ms
    ^C
    --- a01.localdomain ping statistics ---
    24 packets transmitted, 23 received, 4% packet loss, time 23035ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 16.983/23.857/65.545/13.792 ms
    PC A01 is in domain Recovery
    though this PC is in domain.. ??
    Code:
    localhost.localdomain
    maybe. So what do i go to get them the firing line...so that i can ping them to death... js kidding..

Hi h_tere !

Welcome to the LinuxForums !

This thread is 5 years old. Please start a new thread and explain your problem in detail.
    Sorry for inconvenience !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First