Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi!my name is kostas and i am uber noob to linux. i installed mandriva 2005 yesterday but now i am online with win xp cause obviously i still have no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

internet conection

hi!my name is kostas and i am uber noob to linux.
    i installed mandriva 2005 yesterday but now i am online with win xp cause obviously i still have no idea how to start an internet connection with linux.any help please?
    (one step at a time,im going for full switch! )
    cheers,kostas!

Usually if your card is properly detected, Mandriva will start the network connection for you. When you open up the Mandrake Control Center (Configure My Computer in the System section of the start menu) does your card show up at all in the hardware section?

When you boot into Mandriva next time, also hit the Escape key so that you can see all the text scrolling by when your machine starts. You should see a network service trying to start up if the card was detected. If it's trying to start but failing, then we have something to work with.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    thanx man,i'll boot linux in a few minutes and check,if it starts up alright what do i do next?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If your network service starts correctly at boot (it should say either OK or FAILED) then all you have to do (unless there's a DNS or DHCP issue, either one of which we can help with) is open Firefox or Konqueror and start browsing the web.

If it says it failed, then you can look through /var/log/messages to see if you can find anything.

If it never tries to start a network service, then look in the Mandrake Control Center and see whether your network card is present. If not, then it most likely is not supported.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    linux can see my modem and the connection is ok,still,i get the message "network is down on interface ppp0.click on"configure network" "
    i right click on the connection icon and from the scroll menu i click "configure network"...still nothing happens,i try to connect and connection fails,the message on the connection icon remains too.
    any help