Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys, I googled for this one, because it seemed pretty simple to me... I have this setup: Code: --modem--router-----PC1 |_____PC2 So both the pc's have internet access, so far ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Router and two pc's - how can I access pc1 from pc2 & vice versa?

Hi guys, I googled for this one, because it seemed pretty simple to me... I have this setup:
    Code:
    --modem--router-----PC1
                         |_____PC2
    So both the pc's have internet access, so far so good. What I can't figure out is: how can I get access from one pc to another? PC2 contains my music, and downloads, and I don't want to synchronize all the time between the two pc's. The router is a wired US Robotics 8003. At the configuration page, DNS says this: 195.130.131.2 ,195.130.131.7. I suppose these are the internal IP's, or am I wrong? I have noticed they don't change. (Rebooted router, rebooted pc's).

So basically, I was wondering if I could set up a nw with my pc's, and if yes, how? Thanks a lot - I'm a complete noob when it comes to this.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Re: Router and two pc's - how can I access pc1 from pc2 & vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    So basically, I was wondering if I could set up a nw with my pc's, and if yes, how? Thanks a lot - I'm a complete noob when it comes to this.
    Samba Server/Client will do the job.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Your code with the scheme is somewhat misleading. It is like PC2 is connected to PC1 instead to the router. But yes that is possible.

195.x.x.x numbers are not internal, but normal public ip addresses. If your router is able to forward DNS requests (most do) you could specify the router address as DNS server, otherwise the ones from the ISP are allright to use as well.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    OK, sorry for the confusion... Yes, they are both connected to the router, so physically, they're not connected to each other directly, any traffic must go via the router.

About Samba: I thougth it applied only to mixed Win/Lin environment? Or am I wrong about that?

@puntmuts: For setting the router address as a DNS server, how do I do that? Can I just change that in the settings panel - e.g. replace the 195.130.131.x addresses with the IP the router uses? How do I do that when it's a dynamic IP address? Or am I, again, wrong about this?

DNS settings on the router should be okay I think, you should add/edit the DNS servers on your clients or assign them using DHCP. The internal ip address of the router or the ISP provided DNS servers are both okay on the clients pc1 and pc2.

Linux clients can connect to samba drivers as well and it works between two Linux environments. But there are more options like NFS.

Samba works fine with linux to linux as well as the usual mix. Two of my 4 boxes run linux only and that's how I do it.

I'm not familiar with your router but on my linksys router I set to automatically obtain IP and then enable local DHCP which then defaults to common 192.168.1.x range for private lan.

Quote Originally Posted by puntmuts
    Linux clients can connect to samba drivers as well and it works between two Linux environments. But there are more options like NFS.
    Hi puntmuts, I have a question for you.

I know that NFS is an option but I have not explored it at all. Is it a better solution? Is it a Server to client as opposed to peer to peer? You don't need to elaborate cause I can certainly do the research but just a short reply would be appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    So what you're saying right now is that all settings should be ok so far? Yay!

Anyway, this is what i find in YaST on my SuSE box for 'host name and server configuration':

host name = linux; domain name = site (do I need to change this last value?)
    'change host name via DHCP' is ticked

Name server and domain search list
    nameserver 1: 192.168.123.xxx (which is the address of the router's configuration page)
    domain: telenet.be (my ISP)

I think it will be something similar with my other pc... Haven't checked yet, SuSE is far more easy on this point than Debian .

So now I could just configure Samba, or what?

Linux Engineer
    I was just trying to configure Samba, to no avail... Now I pinged both the pc's, and they both display an IP with 192.168.xxx.xxx Is that correct? I thought you had a sequence of 10 digits not more? Furthermore, when I go to the router's configuration page though, it says 195.130.131.x (so 10 digits). Now what do I have to do? I get so lost in this nw stuff...

Linux Engineer
    Anyone? Pleez help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast