Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Mandrake 10.1, but am having some difficulty setting up my network. I have a dynamic ip adress, and a linksys wireless g router (WRT54G), my computer is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 Network Problems (Beginner)

I recently installed Mandrake 10.1, but am having some difficulty setting up my network. I have a dynamic ip adress, and a linksys wireless g router (WRT54G), my computer is near the router and therefore is hardwired to it, using the onboard ethernet port with my MSI K8N Neo Platinum (NF3 250 chipset i believe). I tried configuring the router using DHCP but it doesn't think I am connected. I did it manually using an IP adress of 192.168.1.110, Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and default gateway of 192.168.0.1, and it said i was connected but i had no interenet, and could not ping 192.168.0.1 (also it still said connected after i unplugged the ethernet cable). I have the drivers for my chipset, however if i try to insall it it says the software is already installed. also i have tulip.c, but am not exactly sure what to do with it. do i need to download a compiler and compile it? I renamed it tulip.rpm, but got the same message as with the chipset (said was already installed). Am i missing something? Any help appreciated.

Just Joined!
    your wireless router is given a dynamic ip address? presumably by dhcp from your isp's dhcp server?

i trust your router has this dynamic address on its 'internet' side and a static address of 192.168.0.1 on its 'local' side?

perhaps you should check your firewall rules (iptables) to make sure that your machine can receive ping replies (any network traffic at all for that matter).

ive never played with a router or mandrake but its been 2 days since you asked your question so i thought id have a bash. how does this system (network) work under windows? id be checking every detail of a known working setup and trying to emulate it with your new mandrake installation.