Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed a two-way satellite, and now have the internet available at the end of my ethernet cable. I've configured ETH0 to obtain an IP address from a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    jwf

how to configure Ethernet

Hi, I just installed a two-way satellite, and now have the internet available at the end of my ethernet cable.
    I've configured ETH0 to obtain an IP address from a DNS server (as per the service provider), I've enabled the Adapter, but cannot browse the internet.

If I plug this Ethernet cable (that is connected to my digital modem) into a Windows2000 thinpad, it works fine.

My Linux machine used to have windows XP and DirecPC installed on it (that may explain why it doesn't work). I am not sure that the Adapter (3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI for Complete PC management NIC (3C905C-TX) ) is working properly.

Could it be, I need a proper driver?

Would also like to know of any tutorials on configuration that may address connecting to the Net via Ethernet.

Thanks.

I have several 3c905C TX/M devices and never had trouble with them using the standard 3c59x driver. So the driver of your network card is not the problem I guess.
    I\'m so tired .....

jwf

Ethernet port works, I think the router's the problem

Puntmuts, I agree. I reconfigured the eth0 to automatically obtain an IP address using dhcp. I connected a Dlink router to the Lan port (it has dhcp enabled) and the digital modem to the 'Wan' port on the router. I also have another computer connected to the router. From Linux, I can ping the other machine and it can ping the linux machine, but neither machine can get from the LAN to the WAN to access the internet. If I didn't know better, i'd say the router is blocking outgoing access. I know this router has a built in firewall, but the manual nor logging into the router as admin shows where the firewall is and how to turn it off or configure it. I'll persue with a search for a D-link forum.
    Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    jwf

How to configure ethernet (solved)

The D-Link site suggested that I power off both the router and the modem. Wait 30 seconds, power on the modem and when the lights have stabilized, power on the router. That worked! (getting closer to chucking windows right out the door).