Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I just set up a Linux box! This one is unlike my last one. It is much faster. Anyway, I'm trying to do this: In my Windows box, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Sharing Throigh Windows XP with RH 9.0

Hi all, I just set up a Linux box! This one is unlike my last one. It is much faster. Anyway, I'm trying to do this:

In my Windows box, I have a NIC card. Its a Microsoft PCI Adapter MN-130.
    In my Linux box, the NIC is a Belkin NIC(forget the model number). The Belkin NIC in the Linux box is detected by Linux and works fine. So, I have a crossover cable(CAT5E radioshack). I connected the two NICS, and the lights blinked on. Windows said it was connected(couldnt tell what Linux said b/c i was only using one monitor and had to switch every so often). Now, i connected to my wireless router(the windows box connects to a wireless router). and set the net up for sharing. Then i went to try the net on linux, but it didnt work. I tried many things...still it didnt work. I know they are working, I did an ifconfig and the Belkin NIC was sending packets(but stopped after some time). I also check the Red Hat Net Card thingy and it said my NIC was active...it gave every hint as to that it was working..

I heard that Linux had some problems with Microsoft Ethernet Adapters. I had a similar problem with Linux on my xbox when i hooked it up to the MS Eth adapter and tried to browse the net. But the xbox worked with the Belkin one...

If anyone knows how to fix this, feel free to tell me how. If no one knows how, I'll just buy that same Belkin NIC card and install it in my windows box. It's sure to work then!

Comp Specs:

Linux Box
    Red Hat Linux 9.0
    AMD K6II+ 600mhz
    NVidia GeForce 2 MX 100/200
    Some ISA Sound Card(That's right, its an ISA!)
    Belkin NIC(Realtek Chipset..it works in Linux!)
    3gb and 256mb HD

Windows Box:
    Windows XP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Barton Core 2.2ghz
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT 128mb DDR
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
    Microsoft MN-130 Ethernet Adapter
    60gb of HD Space

I'm a complete noobie to linux, but am very familiar with Windows. Thanks for the help!

Linux User
    your windows is connected to the internet thru wireless router? you've activated internet sharing in windows?

if yes, then linux must retrieve ip thru DHCP, together with DNS and gateway it receives, or do it manually: an IP within same subnet, gateway pointing to windows machine, and DNS pointing to the gateway or ISP's dns server.

good luck.

Linux Newbie
    Am I right in thinking for the Linux box to connect to the internet it must go through the XP machine then connect to the router? If so then make sure in XP's connection settings you have bridged the connections so they act as one.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close