Find the answer to your Linux question:
I originally had set up my MDK9.1 PC to use my LAN for WWW access, via my Win9x box and a proxy server. I got an external modem, and changed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing connetion type

I originally had set up my MDK9.1 PC to use my LAN for WWW access, via my Win9x box and a proxy server. I got an external modem, and changed the connection to use the modem, no probs.

I couldn't do the linux update from MDK thru my proxy, so I waited til I got the external modem connected to try it. Didn't take long to figure out that a modem was not the way to go on this. I loaded up the unit, and transported to a friends house with cable to run the updates.

Now, it won't allow me to change the connection type for internet access. I have ran the applet in Mandrake control several times, as regular user with a su session, and logged as root. It still lists modem for WWW access, and won't lease an IP addy from the DHCP server. Loopback ping returns normal results.

I know that linux runs from script files, and the applets are just GUI representations of those scripts. The GUI isn't making the changes I need, so I think I need to edit manually with vi. Where would I find the file, or what would it normally be named?

Check your /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and make sure that those settings are correct for your network. Then do this:

Code:
    /sbin/ifdown ppp0
    /sbin/ifup eth0
    That should get your network up and running on the LAN.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close