Find the answer to your Linux question:
This one has me totally stumped. My wife's laptop has Pro Mepis installed. My box runs Slackware 10.1. Another computer on our network runs Fedora Core test 3. All are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cannot ssh in nor out!

This one has me totally stumped.

My wife's laptop has Pro Mepis installed. My box runs Slackware 10.1. Another computer on our network runs Fedora Core test 3. All are networked with a Linksys wireless "g" router.

All boxes are set to run static ips.
    All connect to the internet no trouble.
    I used to be able to ssh from the Mepis laptop to the Slacware box, but for some reason, now I can't!
    ssh from Slack to FC3 works perfectly.
    ssh from FC3 to Slack runs perfectly
    ssh from Mepis to either Slacware box or FC3 box gives, "no route to host."
    Neither the FC3 box nor the Slackware box can ssh to the Mepis laptop and both give the same error message, "no route to host.".
    Port 22 is open on all boxes and all are running sshd.
    On the Mepis laptop, Guardog is disabled, no firewall.
    I use 128 WEP encryption and FC3, which is wireless, has no problems, and until a few days ago, worked perfectly with Mepis..

This problem began when I tried to run vncviewer from FC3 to Mepis. Since then, ssh will not work to or from the Mepis box, but it has no problems getting on the internet!

I must just be overlooking something very simple and can't see the problem because I'm looking for something bigger.

Anyone have any ideas where I might find the answer?

Thanks...
    Dapper
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    are you trying to ssh using the IP or a hostname? if it's by hostname, double-check the /etc/hosts entries for all problem connections.
    if it's by IP, you may want to check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the problem box.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Checked ssh_config and sshd_config and nothing was amiss. It was ProMepis Beta, so there could have been something screwy going on there....

I wanted to try the FTP install of Debian Sarge out, so I did on this box and ssh is again working perfectly. Thanks.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here