Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I was wondering if you guys have more experience solving a problem like this... I have this network setup at my work: Home Machine --ssh--> Trusted Host (TH) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH Question (LocalForward & RemoteForward)

Hi all, I was wondering if you guys have more experience solving a problem like this...

I have this network setup at my work:

Home Machine --ssh--> Trusted Host (TH) --ssh--> Work Machine

So to reach my work machine from home, I have to ssh to TH, then from TH ssh to my work machine. The TH acts as a firewall to block off all other non-ssh connections.

The trusted host can only accept SSH connection (both incoming/outgoing). And there is no direct connection Home Machine <---> Work Machine. I am trying to access the Work Machine from home using VNC (using port 5901). I have tried using a LocalForward with VNC but no luck. Does anybody have a better solution?

I may be missing something obvious, but since you're interested in accessing your work machine directly from your home machine, what is preventing you from doing so via ssh?

Is the work machine using tcp wrappers to restrict access to only certain IPs? (If so, just add your home IP to the allow list.)

Is the work machine on a private network? (If so you won't be able to access it directly via vnc either.)