Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I was previously running the SuSE firewall along with Squid as an HTTP proxy on my 9.3 Box. The problem with this setup was that the client machines ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is Firestarter secure enough??

Hi guys,

I was previously running the SuSE firewall along with Squid as an HTTP proxy on my 9.3 Box. The problem with this setup was that the client machines have access only to HTTP and HTTPS. I couldn't get FTP, POP, SMTP and a host of other protocols to work on my client machines.

So, a friend just came across Firestarter (http://www.fs-security.com). I installed it this morning and it works like a charm. EVERYTHING works on the clients....as if they were connected to the internet themselves. There is absolutley no configuration on the client side. Its a very nice firewall/proxy....and from what I've read, its just a GUI for the iptables which comes with Linux 2.6 kernel.

What I need to know...does anybody know how secure Firestarter is? Am I any better/worse than using the SuSE firewall along with Squid? Is anybody out there using Firestarter?

Thanks

Just Joined!

Secure enough for what?

The answer to your question may depend on what you need it to secure.

Edit:I use Firestarter.