Find the answer to your Linux question:
As I wanted to get SuSE 9.2 onto my main PC I had to set up my modem on another computer so I could download via FTP. I went to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Help kill my win98 Gateway

As I wanted to get SuSE 9.2 onto my main PC I had to set up my modem on another computer so I could download via FTP. I went to my laptop, already running SuSE 9.2 and got the modem up and running as ppp0. Then I found a tutorial that showed how to use IP chains to share the connection, but this didn't work, after trying it a few times. I also tried a script someone had posted somewhere else on the forum but that didn't work either, this all taking a number of hours.

In the end I resorted to win98 and got ICS running and have just found a little app that does the port forwarding for me so my server is back online.

If anyone thinks they can help me with a gateway to replace my vunerable 98 machine then I would be most appriciative.

The PC I plan to put it on, being the only one thatis really free, is a P166 with 64MB RAM, with just over 2GB h/d. Not much to play with really but the distro used needs to be reasonably capable to get gcc installed so the modem installation script can be compiled. Thanks in advance
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Linux User
    the sample script found in ip-masquerade howto does the trick.

--> www.tldp.org --> search for ip-masquerade how to

good luck