Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, I will start by saying I know very little about Linux or Linux networking so please bear with me. I just restarted my Debian box after upgrading some packages ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nic not working anymore

Greetings,

I will start by saying I know very little about Linux or Linux networking so please bear with me.

I just restarted my Debian box after upgrading some packages (may have upgraded the kernal too - not sure). Anyway, I no longer have connectivity.

# ifconfig

only shows an entry for lo, not eth0, although my /etc/network/interfaces still contains the same entry for eth0 I've been using for about a year now.

# ifconfig eth0

results in

8139too Fast Ethernet Driver 0.9.24
    eth0: error fetching interface information. Device not found

# ifup eth0

results in

ifup: interface eth0 already configured

I am unable to ping the router or any other machines on the network (gives 'network is unreachable' error) and when I try to ping localhost I get an infinate outpour of:

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.0 ms

On the hardware side, running an ethernet cable from the NIC to my router used to result in a light turning on indicating which port of the router I plugged into. This no longer happens.

I haven't the faintest idea what to try now. Any help ... greatly appreciated

Just Joined!
    If the light on both the router and the NIC no longer comes on, there is no connection between them. Even if your system is not configured correctly to use the NIC, the lights on both ends should be on.

Did your system ever recognize the network card?

If it used to recognize it, and the light used to turn on, I would say that your network card is gone. If you have a spare lying around try using it to find out if the problem lies in your card.