Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've decided to finally dive into the networking aspect of Linux. I'm currently using SuSE 9.2 and Ubuntu 5.04 on 2 different computers. I wanted to know how I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Network Browsing

I've decided to finally dive into the networking aspect of Linux. I'm currently using SuSE 9.2 and Ubuntu 5.04 on 2 different computers. I wanted to know how I could browse my network to search for either computer. If that's not really too clear, an example from a Windows standpoint:

Code:
    \\computer_name
    What would be the related command in Linux? Thanks for the help in advance!

That depends...usually for "browsing" I would use samba to share the files (and open up the necessary ports on the firewall to allow access). Then you can use linneighborhood or smb4k to browse the network as you would with Network Neighborhood in Windows. If you're using KDE, you can also open Konqueror and use the smb://<machinename> command in the address bar. Gnome's resident network browsing has never worked properly for me, but perhaps Ubuntu has it fixed by now.

Personally, though, for transferring files between two linux machines I would use an ftp server or the scp command...it just seems "cleaner" to me.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    If you want to use samba then I find I start it by issuing the commands "rcsmb start" and "rcnmb start" You also need to check your samba config file, normally found in /etc/samba/smb.conf, to decide what shares to use.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Just Joined!
    you mentioned that both box are linux, why just enable sshd on the two linux box, then you can access it thru ssh on cli or sftp on konqueror

Linux User
    Thanks for the replies. Samba is great! I did get it going, and I do have one more question. I'm using SMB4K as GUI for sharing files on Linux, but I have to start it manually everytime I start up my Linux machine (Ubuntu). How would I go about adding it to my startup, so it will start automatically?

I assume that you're using Gnome because it's the default for Ubuntu. There should be a Sessions module in Preferences (at least, Gnome used to have that) where you can define as many programs as you like to start when Gnome does.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux User
    Thanks, that worked like a charm!