Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Find a wires-only broadband provider, get an ADSL modem/router/firewall and run your own private LAN with as many machines as you like. Providers like <spit> BT like to restrict you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    scm
    Linux Engineer

Find a wires-only broadband provider, get an ADSL modem/router/firewall and run your own private LAN with as many machines as you like. Providers like <spit> BT like to restrict you to a single machine unless you pay 100 for their "home network" package (and they're expensive, too!). I've been pretty pleased with e7even.com.

Linux Engineer
    if you have any problems getting broadband modems to work out of the box with linux, such as usb or firewire, just get a 20$ or so linksys router and connect with lan...i have had problems many times with usb modems; however, never once when running anything through a router
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

I'm using BT in Ireland, and theire new setup here is a Router that connects using USB or ethernet. Most of our ISPs here are shipping with dual-connection routers, mnostly due to the need to connect up Games consoles. This makes connecting up a no brainer no matter what you've got, as long as you go with ethernet. It's DHCP out of the box, so no worries.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by scm
    Find a wires-only broadband provider, get an ADSL modem/router/firewall and run your own private LAN with as many machines as you like. Providers like <spit> BT like to restrict you to a single machine unless you pay 100 for their "home network" package (and they're expensive, too!). I've been pretty pleased with e7even.com.
    Pipex does no such thing, and BT can't tell you have multiple machines in you use a router. If they find out you're using a router, tell them it's for security and ignore them.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

You pay for the connection only, and my setup even encourages using your system on your PC and console at the same time. I didn't sign up to use 1 windows based PC on my broadband connection anyway, so as far as I'm concerned if I wanna stick that cat5e in my ear, then that's my business.

Linux Newbie
    Verizon DSL and Time-Warner cable are avialable in my area.

I have tried both. Actual speed seems to be about the same with a slight edge to cable. Verizon wins with a monthly cost of $29.95.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2