Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know you've probably been asked this b4(couldn't get the search tool to work) but do you know of any Linux compatible broadband providers in the UK as i'm currently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Compatible Broadband Providers

I know you've probably been asked this b4(couldn't get the search tool to work) but do you know of any Linux compatible broadband providers in the UK as i'm currently on dial-up and would like to upgrade. Preferably list cheap providers.

Thnx

I personnaly use BT, they don't officialy support linux, but it works. I think any provider will work, but you might want to get a broadband modem yourself that uses ethernet, since the very cheap modems that come usually when you subsribe to broadband are usb, and don't work well with linux.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I agree, all the only problem could be a usb modem. I have an ethernet one, works fine with linux (no setup required). It really doesn't matter what provider you choose.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Engineer
    NTL using an ethernet modem works well.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Newbie
    I am with Pipex, an excellent ISP in my opinion and they are one of the three true ISPs in the UK, next to AOL and BT, as in they are not just a reseller. I have been with them for a year and a half and have got a free upgrade to 1mbps from 512kbps. I can host my web server with no problems, it is only my bad configurating that causes problems.
    They do normally provide you with an Alcatel Speedtouch modem (USB) but there is an excellent script that gets it connected for you in Linux with little hassle and I have used it without any problems. I just need to sort out my IPTABLES next.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Linux Newbie
    I use Pipex also, quality service, excellent prices. I decided to go straight to 2mbit however. They give you a Speedtouch 330 USB modem, which is honestly rather crap, but it's the standard these days. Any ADSL Router should work perfectly with Linux, and I suggest a D-Link DSL-504T, easy to set up, reliable, and not too expensive. Only problem with it is it needs an iptables rule set up, otherwise FTP and SSH won't work.

Just Joined!
    I'm on AOL, and before i started using linux i had one computer connected with the modem they provided, BT Voyager 100. This modem is not supported at all in linux, so i ended up buying a Speedtouch 580 router which is fantastic and in my latest install of FC4 there was no setting up needed to get the internet working, it set up ethernet card for me and away it went.

I know there are a few modems that will work with linux, or can be made to work but i think it would be easier to get a router if you have more than one computer.

Just Joined!

What are IPTables

Thanks to everyone who replied but what are IPTables and how do you configure them.
    I'm using SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro

Linux Newbie
    iptables is a program to control the kernel's built in packet filtering (as I understand it). Unless you're trying to run an FTP or SSH server (though outbound connections may also be affected), you won't need to make use of it with the router I mentioned.. There are huge guides on it, and even programs to configure it for you. Google it
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

any broadband provider should work as long as they're using standard protocols like dhcp, it's also the same for dialup providers as long as they're using standard protocols like ppp.
    people tend to have problems getting aol to work on linux, if you'd ever want to that is, but the reason is they use non standard protocols and is also the reason the have "special" software in order to use their service.

make sure they're using dhcp and you can't go wrong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast