Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to get Knoppix KPPP to work. I'm a newbie, and when setting it up, one box I cant find out what to put in it. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What Modem Name?

I have been trying to get Knoppix KPPP to work. I'm a newbie, and when setting it up, one box I cant find out what to put in it. It asks for a "Modem Name". All the setup instructions, I have found, do not cover that one item.

Thanks
    Rick Harvey

Just Joined!
    Hi Rick. Welcome to Linux!

Internal modems (I'm making an assumption because you didn't specify) can be a challenge when switching to Linux, because they nearly always are what is called "winmodems". Basically, they only have part of the hardware of a full modem, and the rest is emulated via drivers. A good place to get more information on this is: linmodems.org

Id take a look at their information to get a sense for what you have. If you decide you want to try to get your internal modem working, I'd follow the process they outline in the site above. If you get stuck, post back the specifics of where you are and hopefully someone on this board can help step you through it.

My personal choice when I switched over from windows to Linux was to pick up an external serial modem. If you get the right one it won't need drivers in linux, and as an added bonus I think mine gave me faster data transfers than my old winmodem did. Most external serial modems should work fine in Linux to my knowledge, but I have only used one personally. Here is a link to the one I used in Linux before I got broadband.

Just Joined!
    Hi Redbeard
    I think this one is a full modem.

Last night I fought with it for a while, and got it to do some more. It said (I think), "Initializing modem" and would go no further. I thought it was trying to dial, but no dialtone. It didn't finish.

I am in Missouri, USA

I think I seen something somewhere saying, once I get this all figured out, I can load the settings on a floppy, to make it load the KPPP nice and fast like the rest of the O.S. Is that true?

I hope to learn some about Linux with the Knoppix, then get one friend to load Debian in a new computer for me. It is a 1400Mhz and is a virgin, (never been infilthicated with any microsoft virus, I mean programs). it will not have any of them on it in the future either.

I have a hard time catching up with him now, as he is about 60 miles away, and he is working a lot of overtime now.

Thanks
    Rick

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Harvey
    Last night I fought with it for a while, and got it to do some more. It said (I think), "Initializing modem" and would go no further. I thought it was trying to dial, but no dialtone. It didn't finish.
    No progress there. I don't think there are many internal "hardware" modems around. You may save yourself a lot of time and aggravation if you pull your modem out and make a note of any identifying information, including the ID numbers on the main chip. A little time with Google and the link that redbeard gave will tell you what you have.

And if you find yourself needing an external serial modem, you can find a perfectly good one on eBay for $15-$25 including shipping.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    It looks lkike this one is on the list as working. There are a lot of full modems on the list there.