Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have three computers networked together, let's call them A (SuSE 9.2 with Samba server configured), B (XP) and C (XP). B and C can see each other and share ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Samba issues

i have three computers networked together, let's call them A (SuSE 9.2 with Samba server configured), B (XP) and C (XP).

B and C can see each other and share files.

C can see A, can access shared directories and vice versa.

From A, when clicking on the 'Browse Network->Windows Network' icon i get a "No Network found error" but can mount drives from B and C.

B can see A in its Workgroup but cannot access any of the shares.

i've tried every tutorial i can find and can't get this to work. i can't figure out why one XP machine can access the Samba share but another can't.

Ideas?

NB. Oddly when running a SuSE 9.2 Live CD the above 'Windows Network' error doesn't occur.
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Can you ping B at all from A?

Also have yu tried smb://ip.of.windows.C in konquerer to see how far you get?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Can you ping B at all from A?

Also have yu tried smb://ip.of.windows.C in konquerer to see how far you get?
    Yeah, there're pings-a-go-go. i'm not at my machine but i'm pretty sure the the smb:// idea gives a 'Service Name Unavailable' error.

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

i stand corrected. i can both ping the XP machines and smb:// displays their shares

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Couldn't you just make an icon on the desktop linking to the url smb://ip.of.B ? I know this isn't the way w\you want it - you wan to be able to go via 'Browse Network->Windows Network', and I'm nos sure what is wrong with that? waybe some weird firewall setting on B? By linking B on the desktop you have basicly the same thing I think.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2