Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
hi guys.. this is probabally ht most basic question you can get in this forum i think lol. i just bought a d-link dwl g122 wireless usb adapter. my question ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

d-link wireless usb adapter... how to do it?

hi guys.. this is probabally ht most basic question you can get in this forum i think lol. i just bought a d-link dwl g122 wireless usb adapter. my question is, how do i get it to work? i have absoultouly no clue at all how to do this. (after 2 years im finnally trying to put internet on my linux box ) but yea... im absolutly clueless. thanks guys
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Could you open a terminal and, as root, run
    Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    ifconfig
    and
    Code:
    iwconfig
    and post the output?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

sure hold on a sec. do i do this with the adapter plugged in?
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Oh yeah.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

um... i typed in each of the commands and for all of them it said 'command not found' or what ever it says when you type an invalid command...

You're running Fedora, right? In that case, you'd have to enter the entire path:
    Code:
    /sbin/iwconfig
    for example.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

oh ok... lemme try h/o a sec

ok heres the outputs for the commands ---
    Code:
    /sbin/iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
    00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev fe)
    00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (rev 01)
    00:09.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (Secondary) (rev 01)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Accton Technology Corporation SMC2-1211TX (rev 10)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
    00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:2104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:2104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:2205949 (2.1 MiB)  TX bytes:2205949 (2.1 MiB)

there ya go. can you help me with that information?

Hmmm...I think you'll need to use ndiswrapper for that card. Follow the instructions here for installing and using it: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p...97869e47546f23

You will need your Windows drivers to get the card working (the .inf in particular).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

thank you. i downloaded the thing and am installing it. what do i do after i install the windows driver??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast