Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey. i gave up on trying to connect to the internet wirelessly, so i went to a friends huse to play some games online with him and decided id try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

connectiong to the net

hey. i gave up on trying to connect to the internet wirelessly, so i went to a friends huse to play some games online with him and decided id try to get linux on the net with a router and cat5 cable. i went into the network app under system settings and just typed in my IP configuration that i had in windows, restarted the computer and tried to activate that connection. it said it was activated but i could not get on to the internet (no web browsers would work) so my question i guess is did i do everyhting right?
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Linux Newbie
    Would you be able to post your settings here, it might be easier to help you then. Also, with Linux you don't need to restart to activate network changes, such a thing I would only associate with old versions of Windows.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

ill post my network setting once i get my box back... its still at my friends house....
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

ok i tried to get the dchp thing to auto dect my ip settings and it trys to for like 5 minuites then it says failed. is there anything i can do to get linux on the net? my pis for windows dont work with it either.. it says its connected but its not becaus ei cant use any internet apps and firefox dossnt open any pages.

Can you actually ping the router (Windows or linux)? If you can, you may just need to set a gateway, and maybe also specify a dns server.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

i dont know... im back in my bacement with no cat5 anywhere... so im stil trying to get my wireless setup to work..