Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive recently been using knoppix live cd and i really liked alot so i figured i would scrap microjunk and go ahead and install knoppix to my hard drive so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kppp help with knoppix

ive recently been using knoppix live cd and i really liked alot so i figured i would scrap microjunk and go ahead and install knoppix to my hard drive so i did.. in the process it asked what kind of install i want... jus like from cd or a multi-user install.. when i install the multi-user system and try to use kppp to dial-up to my isp it says modem does not respond.... ive set the correct modem path and evrything but now im stuck.. do i have to get modem permissions or something???? but when i install to run jus like the cd i have no problem dialing.... please please help!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    If you think permissions are the problem ->
    sudo chgrp users /dev/modem # or wherever your modem is
    sudo chmod 770 /dev/modem

If that does not fix it, an excellent program for checking modem problems is minicom.
    Look here to find out how to test modem connectivity with minicom ->
    (2nd post)
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...hlight=minicom

Just Joined!

got it

hay thanks alot for the reply i really apprciate it.... but i found the problem.... when u choose the install that runs just like from the cd the modem path is diifrent (ttyS0) than if u chose the install with the multi-user sytem which is (ttyS4) weird huh?? but thanxs again for your help and i hope this can help another noob like me someday......

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------QUESTION AUTHORITY----------------------------------

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    This is because when you install Knoppix with the multi-user (DEBIAN-like) system, it is truly a Debian (stripped of some software, of course). From now on, if there is any distro-specific options for software or something, choose Debian.

if you ever feel like tinkering around...You can install Knoppix (like on cd version) just by doing->
    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/dev/somewhere
    This doesn't install the kernel, so you're going to have to mount /dev/somewhere as an iso9660 filesystem and add a kernel. (and a bootloader)