Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I was wondering if it would be possible to simulate a null modem connection using two regular dial-up modems. There is no telephone system in between the two computers, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

null modem connection with regular modems - is it possible

Hey, I was wondering if it would be possible to simulate a null modem connection using two regular dial-up modems. There is no telephone system in between the two computers, just
    modem<------>modem, pure and simple. (hopefully)

I do not just want to transfer files with this connection (like you can do with minicom), but maybe exchange some UDP/IP packets or something.

Also, is it possible to have a USB null modem?

A null modem cable has nothing to do with modems. Hence the "null modem". Connecting two modems via a CAT3 would not do anything due to the physical design of the modem/telco system (which modems were designed to use).

Why not use a switch/hub or even a crossover ethernet cable? It would be a much faster and better solution.

As for a USB null modem cable, I've not seen one, though I won't discount their existence....
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Well, I only have one NIC at the moment (out of money)- and I'm going to be until be until I start working. But I do have a lot of time on my hands. The laptop that I need to transfer files to does not have a serial port (just USB & Firewire), so serial null modems won't work.
    Are you sure you can't connect two computers via just a telephone cord (I think it would be )

Is it possible to build a USB -> serial adapter by any chance?
    Thanks for your input so far. Looks like I'll just have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromatic Distortion
    Is it possible to build a USB -> serial adapter by any chance?
    Thanks for your input so far. Looks like I'll just have to wait.
    I'm sure it is. You'd have to either look for someone that's already done it or hack apart some serial cables and USB adapters.

You can also use firewire to network the two (ethernet over 1394) computers.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy