Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all, Pls, Ive tried to get my Linux PC to act as a Internet gateway for my other two computers(Windows). I have 2-network cards, etc, and both are detected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Internet Connection Sharing Linux

hello all,

Pls, Ive tried to get my Linux PC to act as a Internet gateway for my other two computers(Windows).

I have 2-network cards, etc, and both are detected when I do "ifconfig" etc. I followed the tutorial i found at:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Home-Netwo...OWTO.html#toc5
    but i still cant get my other network card to route.....i mean for it to assign the 192.168.0.......ips to my other computers

pls help

thanks
    toks

Why not give them 192.168.0.x addresses statically?

Linux Guru
    I found this HOWTO to be the quickest path to what you are trying to do. The HOWTO that you mentioned should help you to get your computers pinging each other, then the one here should get the masquerading to work.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I wasted a lot of time before I figured out that 2 cards in one machine must be on 2 separate "networks", and that is set by the IP and the netmask. I agree with anomie that it will be easiest to get it set up with static IPs. No promises, but maybe:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.248
    ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.9 netmask 255.255.255.248

The Windows machine connected to 192.168.0.1 can be set to 192.168.0.2 (or 3...7). The one connected to 192.168.0.9 can be set to 192.168.0.10 (or 11...15). Make sure that the Windows machines have default gateway set for the address they are connected to: either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.9.

Each Windows machine should be able to ping the address they are connected to, and then you are ready to look at the Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    One super-easy way would be to install firestarter, the first time you run it, there is a walkthrough setup that will config all that stuff for you.

Linux Newbie
    A wireless router is a very simple solution.

I have verizon DSL. My linux computer is the only one hardwired to router. I have as many as three additional computers running wireless at one time. Performance was very good. Verizon included the Westel wireless router with the service.

Just a thought.
    Registered Linux User #391940