Find the answer to your Linux question:
...... hi all, i got some problem with my Red Hat linux 9.0 and i have a broadband connection ....connected with a LAN Card. i don't know how to configure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to configure Networking in REDHAT 9.0

hi all,

i got some problem with my Red Hat linux 9.0 and i have a broadband connection ....connected with a LAN Card.

i don't know how to configure Mozilla to Run Internet over it...and how to set up various Networking Components ....

plz help me in that...

thnakx

Just Joined!

Network config in Redhat

Hi,

choose from Main menu>Sytem settings>Network:

Is this set to active? It must be if you want to enable the nettwork.
    Select Edit and check your Ip-adress, is it set to obtain automatically or to a fixed IP?
    Do you connect to a router? IP-adress (on router and workstation)?

Check your Ip with this command from the promt: netstat -t

Please give more details.

Just Joined!

thankx

thanks man
    i will try it and i gues it will be a lot usefull ....

thanks again ....

Just Joined!

Re: Network config in Redhat

Let me join in answering the questions since I have exactly the same problem:

1. Is this set ot active? Yes
    2. Set to automatically obtain IP? Yes
    3. Connected to a router? I run netstat -t and I get the following:

[i]Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State

That is all I get. I am running Fedora 9

Thanks.

Ruben

Quote Originally Posted by janhelge
    Hi,

choose from Main menu>Sytem settings>Network:

Is this set to active? It must be if you want to enable the nettwork.
    Select Edit and check your Ip-adress, is it set to obtain automatically or to a fixed IP?
    Do you connect to a router? IP-adress (on router and workstation)?

Check your Ip with this command from the promt: netstat -t

Please give more details.

Just Joined!

Networking

Hi,

You are using a router with DHCP active (so you can obtain IP-adress automatically)?
    Have you checked the configuration of your router?
    You can usually do this by typing it's IP-adress in a web-browser: try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 those are the most common router-adresses. login with admin or administrator, if you have never done it before try passwords like 0000, 1234, admin... or check the dokumentation, you will find it there, remember to change it! Else, check with your internet provider.

If you are using router and you know it's IP-adress Ping it from terminal:
    ping 192.168.0.1 [enter] as an example. press [Ctrl]+C to stop pinging
    It will tell you: Destination host not reachable if you can't reach it.

If you can't reach it try writin:
    ifconfig [enter] or /sbin/ifconfig [enter] this will tell you your IP-adress on the Linux-workstation you are working on. It should only be the last number in IP adress that differs from router adress. Example: 192.168.0.43 if your router adress is 192.168.0.1
    The 3 first numbers must be the same to be able to communicate Subnet mask must be set to 255.255.255.0 (usually default).

If you have a wild number in your IP-adress that totally differs from your routers adress, your router doesn't provide IP-adresses. Set a static IP adress on your workstation, example: 192.168.0.2, set subnet mask, gateway (router IP adress) and DNS (Domain Name Server) Your internet provider know the DNS adress.

If you still can't ping your router from workstation check your network cables, check light in network diodes if you have connection, be shore what IP-adress your router have.

Still problems? Try to restart your router, modem and everything that connects to the nettwork and need power!

If you need more help, provide this info:
    your router IP?
    Are you able to configure router?
    Have you set it to DHCP?
    your workstation IP?
    Network cables ok?
    Light in network diodes on router and workstation ok?
    Do you use an internal switch in router?

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by janhelge View Post
    Hi,

You are using a router with DHCP active (so you can obtain IP-adress automatically)?
    Have you checked the configuration of your router?
    You can usually do this by typing it's IP-adress in a web-browser: try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 those are the most common router-adresses. login with admin or administrator, if you have never done it before try passwords like 0000, 1234, admin... or check the dokumentation, you will find it there, remember to change it! Else, check with your internet provider.

If you are using router and you know it's IP-adress Ping it from terminal:
    ping 192.168.0.1 [enter] as an example. press [Ctrl]+C to stop pinging
    It will tell you: Destination host not reachable if you can't reach it.

If you can't reach it try writin:
    ifconfig [enter] or /sbin/ifconfig [enter] this will tell you your IP-adress on the Linux-workstation you are working on. It should only be the last number in IP adress that differs from router adress. Example: 192.168.0.43 if your router adress is 192.168.0.1
    The 3 first numbers must be the same to be able to communicate Subnet mask must be set to 255.255.255.0 (usually default).

If you have a wild number in your IP-adress that totally differs from your routers adress, your router doesn't provide IP-adresses. Set a static IP adress on your workstation, example: 192.168.0.2, set subnet mask, gateway (router IP adress) and DNS (Domain Name Server) Your internet provider know the DNS adress.

If you still can't ping your router from workstation check your network cables, check light in network diodes if you have connection, be shore what IP-adress your router have.

Still problems? Try to restart your router, modem and everything that connects to the nettwork and need power!

If you need more help, provide this info:
    your router IP?
    Are you able to configure router?
    Have you set it to DHCP?
    your workstation IP?
    Network cables ok?
    Light in network diodes on router and workstation ok?
    Do you use an internal switch in router?

Good luck!

I have the same problem here is my detail

your router IP? 192.168.15.1
    Are you able to configure router? Yes
    Have you set it to DHCP? Yes
    your workstation IP? 192.168.15.102

I also want to let you know that I am using vmware workstation 6 on windows xp machine and my xp Ip address is 192.168.15.100....i can ping from my xp machine to RedHat 9 and wise versa but i can't use webbrowser from RedHat just doesn't connect, i can't even access the router using 192.168.15.1 fro RedHat browser. My router is Linksys rtp300 attached to cable with fixed ip address.

any idea