Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello guys, pls I just made a strange observation with regards to my post:"http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-47911.html&sid=7cf56025770fcf400976b4cd07d304c9" with the two network cards in place, I have no internet connectivity....cant even ping my modem's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Internet Connection Sharing problem

hello guys,

pls I just made a strange observation with regards to my post:"http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-47911.html&sid=7cf56025770fcf400976b4cd07d304c9"

with the two network cards in place, I have no internet connectivity....cant even ping my modem's IP, neither does the PC route. Twould return a "destination cannot be reached error".

I then decided to remove the external network card I just put in the available slot. Rebooting my PC(with the onboard card), everything worked quite well. I was able to connect to the internet without changing anything......IP/configs.......

I actually dont know what the problem is. I believe the xternal network card is working coz, I used it to set up my ICS on my winXP Hard disk and everything works fine on windows, as in the other PCs I have can get the 192.168.......addresses(using windows ICS)

pls what do u think is the problem with my Linux machine......the reason why the insertion of an xtra network card causes the onboard(which works fine alone) to totally loose internet connectivity.

thanks
    Tok

Linux Newbie
    in addition to my post:

YES, the xternal network card is detected (detects it as a VIA Technologies VT86C100A(Rhine)when inserted.

i issued the command:
    ps -ax|grep dhcpd

and I get this result:
    3722 pts/0 S 0:00 grep dhcpd

does this mean the dhcp is functioning or not functioning..

Toks

Linux Guru
    I don't know anything about dhcp, but I'm pretty sure that if you have 2 or more nics in one box, they need to be configured to different networks. Maybe after booting, you should run ifconfig on the new nic to set a static (non-dhcp) IP address and then run route to set up a static route from that nic to the other network.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close