Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am fairly new to linux. I am getting to grips with how things work. I am preparing to set up my linux machine with a PPP connection from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using a DSL modem for a windows and a linux PC

Hi

I am fairly new to linux.
    I am getting to grips with how things work.
    I am preparing to set up my linux machine with a PPP connection from the DSL modem I have.

My question is, can I run my windows machine on the DSL modem using the USB port and run the linux machine using the ehternet connection?

I know this is not a normal networking procedure but I just want it so that I can read up on things whilst trying to get the linux machine to work.

Could I just uplug the USB cable and plug in the ethernet cable into the back of the DSL modem?

I plan to run the linux machine as a proxy server using NAT so I have two NICs in it.
    I am not sure that the NICs were recognised during installation of the OS so I will need to load the drivers (modules rather than compiled). I have a standard 3com NIC so I think I will be alright when I find the drivers.

I am anticipating a few hickups so I would like ready access to the interent rather than transfering between the two.

Is this possible?
    Am a being extremly lazy?

Thanks

yeah you should be able to run a winbox on the usb and a lin box at the same time on the ether
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org