Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm a first time Linux user with a fresh install of MEPIS on my desktop with no internet I set everything up with NDISWRAPPER kWIFImanager recognizes my router's ssid, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless DNS Issue

Hello, I'm a first time Linux user with a fresh install of MEPIS on my desktop with no internet I set everything up with NDISWRAPPER kWIFImanager recognizes my router's ssid, i can connect to my router's admin panel, can access domain's by their IP, but I can't go directly to a domain. If I ping google.com > no reply. However If I ping google.com's IP, I get a reply. This is the same for firefox.

My router is set up to dhcp, and so is this desktop box. I have turned the firewall off in MEPIS. I know the router/modem setup are working together fine because every wireless computer I have set up has worked automatically as soon as I use the SSID (no wep). These are windowsXP machines though, and since I'm not a big linux geek (yet) I feel like I'm just missing something simple in order to get this to work.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I can start to find answers/what settings I would look at changing?

Thank you.
    BTW: I have posted here http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=340635 > with my entire setup, but if you need me to repost here, I will be more than glad to.

Just Joined!
    FIXED! For some reason this machine can't read the DNS servers from my router, problem solved by inputting them manually.

Quote Originally Posted by digitzero
    FIXED! For some reason this machine can't read the DNS servers from my router, problem solved by inputting them manually.
    Make shure that you turn off automatic update of the dns servers so that /etc/resolv.conf isnt overwritten when the dhcp takes out a new lease
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close