Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I am new to linux. I cannot seem to connect to the internet. I have mandriva le 2005. I have a winmodem. Smartlink SmartPCI562 56k modem (revlo) I tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with dialup connection wvdial.

Hello. I am new to linux. I cannot seem to connect to the internet. I have mandriva le 2005. I have a winmodem. Smartlink SmartPCI562 56k modem (revlo)

I tried to connect using kppp but screen would freeze on 'initialising modem'.

I then got wvdial-1.54.0-3mdk.i586.rpm Tried to install it using command line after reading instructions but with no success. Keep getting 'error no such command' or something like that.

Then I read that I needed a driver for my modem. I downloaded one form here http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132

Got it on my linux box but after reading the 'readme' I still am clueless on how to install the driver.

Anyway after failing to get the command line to work, (my fault I don't have any exp with cli) I clicked on the wvdial-1.54.0-3mdk.i586.rpm icon. It was in a folder I named 'cdstuff' After clicking install i got an error message.
    It read 'some package requested can not be installed wvdial-1.54.0-3mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libwvstreams.so.3.74 continue?)

I clicked continue and it said package installed. However I do not know whever it is installed or not and if it is how to run it. Again no luck with command lines I got off google.

Now I go to google and download wvstreams-3.74-61.i586.rpm
    I have it on a cd and am going to put it on my linux box. However regarding previous problems I've had I am thinking I will have problem with this as well so is their any trick to installing it?

Would anyone out there be able to help me with this?
    Thanks for your time

Just Joined!
    I have got wvdial installed. Did a google for wvstreams-3.74-61.i586.rpm and tranferred it to my linux box with a cd-rw. Clicked on the icon and it installed. Then clicked on the wvdial icon and this time it installed properly. Then went to konsole/command line. Typed 'wvdial' and pressed enter. Loads up but won't detect my linmodem/winmodem.
    Thanks for your time and help.

Just Joined!
    Damn, i hate software based modems.

Believe it or not, the command line is pretty easy (and I perfer it) once you get used to it.
    To install *.rpm s from the cmd line: (you have to be root first, type su and enter the password)
    rpm -i <file>.rpm

libwvstreams.so.3.74 is called a dependancy. They are Dynamically Linked Libraries. (ironically, called *.dll s in windows) Instead of having a huge binary program, there are shared libraries and binaries use these shared libraries instead of taking up more disc space.

You must install wvstreams*.rpm first before installing the dynamically linked binary or you're going to have problems (most likely).

I believe that driver must have a service commenly called a daemon running to provide modem services. Read the docs that came with it.
    (daemons almost always end in *d) I think this one is installed in /usr/sbin (not sure though)

Just typing wvdial will do nothing. You have to make (or just copy) a configuration file. Just copy the one from man wvdial.conf, making necessary changes to /etc/wvdial.conf (do this as root).
    If you loaded your driver properly, it will now work.
    (notice that your modem gets put on /dev/ttySL15 or something with this driver)

A good program for testing if your modem drivers have been installed properly is minicom. See here (2nd post) for how do test with minicom.

However, all this is probably tough for a newbie, and I think either buying a hardware based modem (which won't require special drivers) or running windows with the winmodem and accessing your internet connection via another computer on a LAN would save you a bottle of morphine or so.

Hang in there, this is a hard part.

Plus, you wouldn't mind posting the output of lspci|grep -i modem for me, would ya?

Just Joined!
    Hello
    I did finally manage to install wvdial.
    Did a google for wvstreams-3.74-61.i586.rpm and tranferred it to my linux box with a cd-rw. Clicked on the icon and it installed. Then clicked on the wvdial icon and this time it installed properly. Then went to konsole/command line. Typed 'wvdial' and pressed enter. Loads up but won't detect my linmodem/winmodem.
    Thanks for your time and help.