Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm very new to Linux and I got the ArkLinux distro. I know it comes from the RedHat/Mandriva line, but it's for use on a personal computer and it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I use my WUSB11 v2.6 Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter with ArkLinux?

Hello. I'm very new to Linux and I got the ArkLinux distro. I know it comes from the RedHat/Mandriva line, but it's for use on a personal computer and it's supposed to be easy. Right now, I can't get connected to the Internet because I don't know how to install the Atmel AT76C503 Driver for Linux. I know there is an install text file in the gzipped file, but that file is only for Kernel 2.4.x. I have Kernel 2.6.x. I know it works with Kernel 2.6.x because other people like me have had great success with this driver. I just don't know how to install it.

When I tried doing what that text file told me to do, I got stuck where it told me to type: "make usb". It asked me where the directory for the Kernel was, and I didn't know where it was. I tried searching for it, but I had no luck.

Also, I'm having another problem, this time with my monitor. The only resolution that I can be in KDE is 640x480. However, my monitor can display all the way up to 1280x1024. It really bugs me to have the resolution so low like that. I tried editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but I couldn't find the place from which to change. I found an entry, "Display_Size", but I tried to change that from "320 240" to "1280 1024" (I'm trying to get it to look accurate in relation to the actual file) but it didn't work.

Please, if you could help me, that would be great.

-- If you are unfamiliar with the ArkLinux distro, you may look at their website @ http://www.arklinux.org .

Some info on ArkLinux:
    -KDE based, version 3.4
    -Bash Konsole Shell
    -Kernel 2.6.x
    --If you need anymore info, let me know.

Thanks,
    Stagelight

The kernel sources is what the distro is looking for, usually it can be found by using the following command:
    Code:
    cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`
    note those aprostophe like symbols are the one below the tilde key (~).

I'm not familiar with the ArkLinux distro, but is there a Control Center like place where you can go to in order to setup the monitor? I have had monitors not displaying at the correct resolutions when using manufacturer specific drivers, and the problem was solved once I told it to use generic monitor drivers, e.g. Generic CRT monitor 1280x1024 @ 75 hz.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll have to try that. But, it told me that I have to install gcc because of this:

Code:
    make: gcc: no such command
    Or something like that. So, I'm trying to install gcc. But, it says that gcc is already installed. So I don't know what to do.

Oh, and I got the monitor to display higher resolutions, but I don't know how I did it. But I'm happy! That's one problem solved

Try running the gcc command as root to see if that helps. Also when installing gcc, try installing it as an rpm.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Here check this that wireless driver was added to the 2.6.x kernel
    See this http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-48999.html bottom of page

on the gfx issue you'll want your default resolution first in the line
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen 1"
        Device      "NVIDIA GeForce"
        Monitor     "My Monitor"
        DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
        EndSubsection
    EndSection
    my default depth is 24 my
    default res is 1280x1024
    and i have 4 usable resolutions

and on the gcc issue if it realy isnt installed go into yast and install the development packages that will be gcc and it's libraries

P.S. in the future start a new thread for each question
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Well, I tried that and it (Konsole) gave me the same thing.

Code:
    -bash: gcc: no such command
    Or something like that. I have several RPM's that I need to install, but I don't know how to install them.

I wish Linux was easier in the means of installing like stupid Windows is =P

Other than that Linux is awesome! But I need to get the internet working

Just Joined!
    Ah, I didn't realize that you posted before me when I posted that.

Thanks so much. I really want to get away from Windows and I really like Linux. It's fast, reliable, and has a great GUI.

Also, I should have known the question on new thread thing. Forgot about that.