Find the answer to your Linux question:
seam to be having a problem adding my linux box to my home network. I am running Redhat 7.1 on one system than two others have windows xp pro. on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux and xp

seam to be having a problem adding my linux box to my home network. I am running Redhat 7.1 on one system than two others have windows xp pro. on them. All computors can browes the internet just not each other. Right now I need to be able to see the linux box from the windows system so I can move some files over before I redo the system. I am assuming what ever I do in linux for this I need to be in "root" .

Thanks for any help. I'm sure there will be more questions though am hopping I will be able to figure most out on my own.

Jim

Just Joined!
    yea dude you do and umm make a seperate partition with fat32 cause thats the only filesystem that both can use

I'd expect it to be something to do with your firewall (on the linux box). assuming you're using iptables, you'll need to make sure that the option for "Windows File Sharing (SMB)" is checked.

Hope this helps
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    Your distro is VERY old.. please try trustix instead for server stuff... link in the signature

Just Joined!
    I'm running gnome if that matters. but cant find anything about iptables. looked under system and found firewall-config. but dont see anything about file sharing. as it is I changed Host name and domain in network configurator to linux, and mshome the host name stayed the same but now domain comes up stp.wi.charter.com wich is my internet perfider so i'm thinking thats fine but now when I log off system locks up and I get an earor about not being able to find hostname linux and gnome may not work properly.

This computer that im running this distro is an old system running an AMD-K6 586 with only 62 megs of mem. so havnt realy thought much about running anything newer. wife wont let me put linux on the big system till I know it better and can prove to her that it runs at least as good as windows. Yes I know it does but I have to be able to prove it to her.

Linux and windows will refuse to communicate with each other, unless you setup the linux box as a samba server, see the samba.org for the appropriate software. You will require the samba server download and if you don't feel comefortable editing config files, then you will also need swat or another one of the guis which can be found on the samba page, i would recommend webmin.

Also to help you setting up your samba server, google for this document "The unofficial SAMBA howto". It will explain in a clear and simple manner howto setup a smaba server for the home and office environment.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.