Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I know I know; long time no post. The non-faulty powersupply is in the tower now and Mandrake 9.1 is installed. So, what I was going to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Westell DSL USB Modem

Hello all,

I know I know; long time no post. The non-faulty powersupply is in the tower now and Mandrake 9.1 is installed. So, what I was going to do was just unplug my roomies computer from the modem while I fiddle around on the net and such to get a feel for Linux, download WineX and maybe some RPM updates. Which leads me to two questions...Should I expect any flak between the modem and my box because of the USB? and What exactly is an RPM? Feel Open Source (Free) to elaborate greatly on these questions, I'll be looking forward to great reads when I wake up

Linux User
    RPM = Red Hat Package Manager

Allows for easy installation of packages - no compiling required. Drawback is it's lack of ability to handle dependancies effectively. It also uses a database to manage package installations on your system.

Analogous to Debian's APT (Advanced Packaging Tool).
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    As for the modem. Have fun. There is no real way to know if it will work or not untill you try it..

You'll have to check your kernel config. I know there are some things in there concerning USB modems/NICs.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Alright...well...I plugged the linux tower where my roomies tower was and plugged all his stuff in. I was clicking around in Linux and found that it does know that it's a Westell DSL blah blah blah, but I don't know what to do *just got off the phone with DSL tech support* The DSL modem (external) is a router as well.."Duh!" and has it's own IP Addy 192.168.1.254 and the service is PPPoE. So, now what do I do? There is a Wizard to run that I found, but I think it needs the linux install Disc 1 which is at a friends house and my login information and password for the service....which I don't know......*waits for roomie to get home* Weee! With this post I am Dubbed a "Groupie"

Just Joined!
    Got the internet up with an ethernet card, no probs