Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. I'm having a problem with ndiswrapper. I'm trying to install a Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 Instant Wireless Adapter driver that was only made for Windows XP. The driver is: "netusb.sys" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Having a problem with ndiswrapper...Help me?

Hi. I'm having a problem with ndiswrapper. I'm trying to install a Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 Instant Wireless Adapter driver that was only made for Windows XP. The driver is: "netusb.sys" or "netusbxp.sys". I don't know which one because the system log has not told me which one.

The only difference in those drivers is that the "netusbxp.sys" is for Windows XP and the other one is for Windows 9x and 2000.

Okay, here's where my problem is:

I have taken these steps:
    Code:
    [root@arklinux Drivers]# ndiswrapper -i "netusb.inf"
    [root@arklinux Drivers]# ndiswrapper -l
    [root@arklinux Drivers]# modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.13-0.rc1.3ark/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation not permitted
    I don't know why this is happening, because I was logged in as root. So, I don't know why this would be happening.

If you are familiar with this distro (ArkLinux 2005.1 SR1) and Kernel 2.6.13, or if you know what to do, please, please help me. I'm really wanting to stop using Windows XP. It is so slow. Linux is really fast, and I just want it to work right!

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    I'm having the exact same problem...except I'm using Ubuntu so the error message is a wee bit different..

Just Joined!
    Thank you! Even though you didn't give any advice, I'm glad at least someone saw this post

I'm still having a problem, and well, with the communities about Linux being very hard to get help from, I'm thinking of just quitting. I've been waiting for a reply on this topic for almost a frickin' month. Sorry, but it's kinda ridiculous even if this topic is seen a lot.

Sorry to get all mad, but I mean, there's plenty of people here that can answer questions, even ones that get repeated a lot. I can relate, it does get annoying, but you know what? At least you have helped out one more person in the world. I don't care if you see this topic all the time. This is a help community, and people are supposed to help each other, not be picking and choosing which you want to answer based on if you've answered it on another thread or something. If you have posted it on another thread, please, please just give the topic starter the link to that specific post, it's as simple as that.

Thanks for understanding, and I'm sorry for being sort of a jerk, but I've been at this for over a month and a half. What I've been at is that I've been trying to get Linux to work, then I've been trying to get the Internet working.

Theinvictus, this is not directed towards you, you are in the same position as I am. I'm saying this to people who are using Linux right now, and the people who have lots of posts. If you haven't gone through the situation that the topic is directed to, then just take this advice.

Thanks,
    Stagelight

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Perhaps no one had an answer for you

Just Joined!
    Perhaps

you need the kernel-sources installed, it usually is found on the installation media of your distro.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I will do that , and thanks for your help.

Just Joined!
    I'm experiencing the same problem using SUSE 9.3 32-bit and a Linksys WMP54G. I have first installed SOURCE and GNU C/C++ packages in order to succesfully compile the application. Then I entered the driver using the INF-file from the drivercd, on ndiswrapper -l it gave the right message, hardware present. Thusfar all was going well.

Then upon loading the module as root "modprobe ndiswrapper" displays a similar fatal error inserting the module: "operation not permitted". IMHO it can't be an accessrights issue because I was performing the entire operation as root. I've been stumbling on many similar posts on this issue across the internet. None of them seem to have been resolved.

However I'm just beginning to try and resolve this (started last night) and some of the posts do have some suggestions I will try. I will kleep you posted on my findings.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I've pretty much given up on Linux, I mean, I'll use it when it becomes more advanced, and more easier to use.

Now what I really want is a Mac.

But yes, please tell me if you find any way to solve your problem or even mine

Thanks,
    Stagelight

Don't give up on linux yet, try a different distro e.g. SuSE, it is a little easier to setup and configure stuff in it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast