Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, My company had a consultant come in to setup a Samba server on our Lionus machine [running RedHat 8]. The other day the Samba server suddenly stopped working. That ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba server meltdown!!

Hi,

My company had a consultant come in to setup a Samba server on our Lionus machine [running RedHat 8]. The other day the Samba server suddenly stopped working. That is, I could no longer access the shared folder on the Linux computer from any Windows machine in the company. I had been emailing the consultant for help on this, but he has stopped corresponding with me. However, he did tell me to try restarting the Samba server, and I did that to no avail. I also ran "ps -ef|grep mb" and it said the following (which the consultant said meant Samba was indeed running):

root 923 1 0 Jul13 ? 00:00:00 smbd -D
    root 927 1 0 Jul13 ? 00:00:00 nmbd -D
    mkc 2974 2671 0 15:26 pts/3 00:00:00 grep mb

He told me to check the Samba log file, and I did so. The last line said "waiting for a connection," which struck me as odd...none of the regular Samba log files said that. Here are the last few lines from the smbd.log file:

[2005/07/13 10:38:11, 3] smbd/server.c:main(747)
    loaded services
    [2005/07/13 10:38:11, 3] smbd/server.c:main(762)
    Becoming a daemon.
    [2005/07/13 10:38:11, 3] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(813)
    bind succeeded on port 139
    [2005/07/13 10:38:11, 2] smbd/server.c:open_sockets(215)
    waiting for a connection

So...I'm stuck. I haven't done anything strange to the Linux computer, other than start using Putty to SSH into it from a remote location in the plant. I rebooted the workstation from this remote location just to try it out, and that seems to be when the trouble started.

Anyone have any ideas?

Matt

Linux User
    what does it say in your log file? can you ping the server from your workstation? try this from your workstation (a windows machine, i assume)

start -> run -> \\samba_server's_nbtname (or \\sam.ba's.ip.address)

Just Joined!
    Nothing happens when I try to run the IP address...I get the same "network path was not found" time-out error. I think I have successfully pinged the Samba server workstation through an SSH client using "ping <IP.add.ress.>." And the Samab server is definitely running. The end of the Samba log file says "waiting for a connection"....that's the snippet I inserted in my original post.

M.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmf144
    Nothing happens when I try to run the IP address...I get the same "network path was not found" time-out error. I think I have successfully pinged the Samba server workstation through an SSH client using "ping <IP.add.ress.>." And the Samab server is definitely running. The end of the Samba log file says "waiting for a connection"....that's the snippet I inserted in my original post.

M.
    If you have installed or tampered with PAM, YP, LDAP... These will change the way samba authenticates. Also if you check your Network Neighborhood, you should be able to "browse it". If not, then maybe windows firesmall is your culprit?

Did I say "firesmall"?? I meant "firewall".