Find the answer to your Linux question:
How to know linux recognize my wireless card and the card is working properly??Any command or GUI tools available? And how to see my current IP address using command line? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to know linux recognize my wireless card and the card is working properly??

How to know linux recognize my wireless card and the card is working properly??Any command or GUI tools available?

And how to see my current IP address using command line?

I am using FC4. Many thnx.....

see this post on how to detect and configure wireless cards in linux.

then as root there are a few commands available to you to see the status and configuration of wireless card.

Code:
    iwconfig
    it will tell you the status and current config for a wireless card. By passing various arguments to this command, you can also configure the card.

To see the current IP address assigned to a particular card, as root type into a terminal the following command:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ignore the entry for lo, but all the other entries are for your currently connected network cards.

Also you could try downloading KWifi manager to manage your wireless connections, but the drawback is that it doesn't support WPA.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    very comprehensive answer, thnx for your effort, mate! I am going to try those commands right away.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    no problem

Just Joined!
    Dude, I got a problem. It seems there is no iwconfig and ifconfig command in my system. I have checked /bin/, no such files can be found.

Where can I get these files? Why these files are missing in my system? I am using FC4......

only root can execute those commands.
    in a terminal type
    Code:
    su -
    enter root password:
    the - is required so that you become full root and not just a super-user.

the ifconfig command should be there by default, but for the iwconfig command, you will need the wireless-tools package. The wireless-tools package can be found on the installation media or you can download an rpm from this site. Click on advanced search, clcik deselect all and then just click on the check boxes for FC3 and FC4.

Also you could try using your distros online software updater, I think it is called YUM in Fedora (sorry i've never used fedora so i won't know the full details)

Definately make sure you have "wireless-tools" installed.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Just Joined!
    Non root can execute those commands too, but won't have permission to do several things.
    To execute them, either execute
    /sbin/ifconfig or
    /sbin/iwconfig
    directly, or if you like, put /sbin in your path (highly discouraged though).

Frank