Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I just reinstalled Debian Sarge with the 2.6.8 kernel and now I cant access my router. 192.168.1.1 just times out. It worked fine with the 2.4.27 kernel. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant access my router

Hello all. I just reinstalled Debian Sarge with the 2.6.8 kernel and now I cant access my router. 192.168.1.1 just times out. It worked fine with the 2.4.27 kernel.

I'm farely new to linux and a complete noob with Debian. Any help would be aprreciated.

Linux Engineer
    Have you tried resetting your router?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    I thought about that but I didn't want to reset all my settings. I will try it now.

Linux Engineer
    Maybe that's the problem . Possible you set a wrong option, and now the whole thing blocks...

Just Joined!
    Just reset it. Still cant access it.

Linux Engineer
    You don't have a firewall running or something like that? Are there any lights blinking strangely on your router?

Can you access the internet without the router? I suppose it's placed between your linux box & the modem?

Just Joined!
    Firewall is off, no strange lights on router. I do have internet access.

Linux Engineer
    Ok... Than it looks like you have a problem. Have you followed the troubeshooting guide of your router (I suppose you have a booklet)? Does switching off help? I know I once couldn't access my router's config anymore, did a couple of things, and now it works like a charm...

I know it involved cloning my MAC address though, but for that, you need access to the config pages.

Just Joined!
    Well, I unplugged it and now it works. Thanks for your help!

Linux Engineer
    No problem . Sometime the easiest solutions are also the best

If your router is new, and before you used to connect to the Net with your linux box, I suggest cloning the MAC address though. ISP's assign accounts to MAC addresses, and if they notice your MAC has changed, and you did not inform them, they could block it.