Find the answer to your Linux question:
I live in an apartment complex where the internet connection is shared. Almost 100% percent of the time I can't game online nor can I really use the internet because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Woes

I live in an apartment complex where the internet connection is shared. Almost 100% percent of the time I can't game online nor can I really use the internet because some ... jerk... has a bittorrent client running that is sucking down all the bandwidth. Is there anyway I can throttle the bandwidth for everyone so we are all garunteed a fair portion of the pie?

Linux User
    do you control the point of pressense (aka the router sometimes). If you do you may be interested in seeing if its capable of doing something called packet shaping.

If your router does not support it you can always try m0n0wall on a old pc, monowall has the packet shapping abilities.

or you can take a wee look in to ARP :P (seriously not recomended some legality issues)

Just Joined!

Solution

Having looked into ARP Posioning, I have decided not to go that route. I do have access to the router in question and I have since setup a box between all the computers and the router to actively shape and queue the network traffic. Works like a charm except for the fact that one of my nics is dead and/or dying. Thanks for the reply.