Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a small LAN, with a mix of Linux and Win PC's, 4 units total. Static IP's, Very limited file sharing, and printer sharing needed....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SAMBA or LISA?

I've got a small LAN, with a mix of Linux and Win PC's, 4 units total. Static IP's, Very limited file sharing, and printer sharing needed.

Just Joined!
    Hi there X !

I did just about like you have done with small LAN. If printer is Windows printer you can just configure Linux boxes to share it. Also I did setup Samba on a Linux macine and after a little configuration confusion got it working. Give it a try.

Steve

Samba and LISA are pretty different. Samba is the protocol/daemon for sharing files with windows boxen and lisa is a LAN Information Server (LISa). It basically gathers the info about the LAN (IPs, etc.) and makes them browseable, showing samba shares as well as any ftp/http servers, etc.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info on the diffs. I think it helps me in the general understanding.

I've done the SAMBA thingy a few times. I'm running mandrake 9.1, which comes with a SAMBA wiz. I thought this may make things a little simpler, but evidently not simple enough
    At the end of the wiz, it told me I needed to set a SAMBA password, using smbpasswd command. It told me the user didn't exist, and exited

I've also tried to use SWAT, KOMBA, and GNOMBA to assist, as well as a completely manual set up or 5. I've done the reg hacks on my Win9x boxes, and use the same username/password combo to log on to all, to limit confusion over setting up seperate users for each PC (That confusion will come later!)

I know the network itself is working, because I can share WWW from my main box under win to the rest of the network. I don't get any listings for the linux boxes in either of the win boxes, or any network shares at all in either of the Lin boxes

I've printed out several walkthrus, and followed them step by step without any luck

This is really starting to eat on me. I took some classes for networking(OSI, CIDR, etc...), but in a win NT enviroment. I have a decent understanding of what has to happen, but can't seem to get the boxes to cooperate.

Just Joined!
    here is my smb.conf file located in /etc/samba/smb.conf

Code:
    #======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]
    	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    	guest account = root
    	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    	load printers = yes
    	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
    	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    	obey pam restrictions = yes
    	guest ok = yes
    	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    	dns proxy = no
    	netbios name = Srv01
    	netbios aliases = Srv01
    	server string = File Server
    	printing = cups
    	default = var
    	unix password sync = Yes
    	workgroup = home
    	os level = 20
    	auto services = global
    	printcap name = /etc/printcap
    	security = share
    	max log size = 0
    	pam password change = yes

[homes]
    	comment = Home Directories
    	browseable = no
    	writeable = yes
    	valid users = %S
    	create mode = 0664
    	directory mode = 0775

[printers]
    	comment = All Printers
    	path = /var/spool/samba
    	browseable = no
    # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    	printable = yes

[fat32]
    	comment = InuYasha
    	path = /fat32
    	guest ok = yes

[var]
    	path = /var
    	writeable = yes
    	guest ok = yes
    [root]
    	path = /
    	writeable = no
    	guest ok = yes
    [RootHome]
    	path = /root
    	writeable = yes
    	guest ok = yes
    See if this helps ya

if you have any questions I might be able to answer them for you

This file works for all of my file shares.. I sue them quite often with no problems.

also, I didnt have to do any reg-hacks to get this working... Windows XP Pro machinges here.

Use: smbpasswd -a *username* to add a user to samba. This must be an actual valid user on the machine.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys. I should have known the username option for smbpasswd

I copied and pasted the samba.conf to a floppy, and will sneakernet it to the lin side of this box later ( I know, I shouldn't have to. Power supply probs, so I can't let both drives run at the same time, or the video gets weird)